How Are The Conference Locations Selected?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

I'm curious as to how the locations get selected for the conventions.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

AFAIK, members volunteer to host them and propose it to the Board of Directors. There are a few people on here who have hosted them in the past so they may be able to chime in on their experience.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, basically the Board receives proposals from some group or individual who state how they can host the convention, and generally demonstrate that they know what they're getting into. It takes two years to fully prepare to host a convention and not have your life completely disrupted.... I was lucky hosting the Huntsville convention in 2003 because I was able to use the university facilities here at UA Huntsville largely for free, and Alabama has relaxed fish collecting regulations. Conventions would be harder to host in much of the East or Midwest because hotel accomodations are more expensive, just to head the list. There are rumors of future conventions being hosted variously in Kentucky or Florida, two places we haven't had one yet. But we're always open to suggestion; as a rhetorical question, what do you have?

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, basically the Board receives proposals from some group or individual who state how they can host the convention, and generally demonstrate that they know what they're getting into. It takes two years to fully prepare to host a convention and not have your life completely disrupted.... I was lucky hosting the Huntsville convention in 2003 because I was able to use the university facilities here at UA Huntsville largely for free, and Alabama has relaxed fish collecting regulations. Conventions would be harder to host in much of the East or Midwest because hotel accomodations are more expensive, just to head the list. There are rumors of future conventions being hosted variously in Kentucky or Florida, two places we haven't had one yet. But we're always open to suggestion; as a rhetorical question, what do you have?

Just wondered, was thinking maybe 2010 NE Ohio:) but I know Ohio has had one already.

I have a wonderful idea of where one can be hosted.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

If there is to be another ohio convention, I am closely tied into a center that would gladly host it. I am sure that I can get fantastic rates. Of course it would be in southern Ohio, but we would be close to KY also.

#6 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

If there is to be another ohio convention, I am closely tied into a center that would gladly host it. I am sure that I can get fantastic rates. Of course it would be in southern Ohio, but we would be close to KY also.

If you don't mind a lot of stress, you can prepare for one quicker than a 2 yr lead time. Gerald and I were asked to step in (possibly coerced) and host the 2007 convention in North Carolina in fall of 2006 after the ones who wanted to were unable to do so. Everyone in NANFA jumped in to help us so that we were able to host a reasonably good convention. But I will tell you that I enjoyed it much more after it was over and we had time to breathe and reflect on it. BUT the conventions are one of the really great things that NANFA does.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

That place we stayed at last December?

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

If we had it up here, we'd be close to PA, and Lake Erie.

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

That would have some interesting possibilities. Fish collecting in NE OH, NW PA, and Lake Erie. Hmmm. And there are certainly things to do in the area to keep uninterested family members busy, too. Amusement parks (in Cleveland, Erie, Sandusky...), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, swimming beaches (Presque Isle, etc.)... Lots of other stuff, too.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

I'd be willing to try to get something in the works.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

Casper has mentioned considering a Tennessee redux. I can tell you from past experience and my current work schedule: Mississippi is RIGHT OUT.

So, after Texas, what are the proposals? Florida, I think?? We're due for a Georgia convention, dontcha know.

#12 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

I believe there is mention of Kentucky. Tennessee is another one of those iffy states regarding collecting of fish is it not?

What impact is the drought going to have on the fishes of Georgia? We may need to give them some time.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Nobody from GA has expressed an interest in hosting - that's just wishful thinking on my part.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

Nobody from GA has expressed an interest in hosting - that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I would if I was older.

I believe there is mention of Kentucky. Tennessee is another one of those iffy states regarding collecting of fish is it not?

What impact is the drought going to have on the fishes of Georgia? We may need to give them some time.

There are several small creeks here that have completely dried up, but the fish are still hangin' in there. The creek in my backyard dried up for two months. All that remained was a 5ft long x 3ft wide ditch that was about 12-18" deep. In there, I caught AT LEAST 40 YOY redbreasts, a couple YOY bullheads, and 20 or so yellowfin shiners, and about 20 bluehead chubs and the same amount of creek/dixie chubs(still not sure which yet; I'd have to catch some for identification). As you can see, the fish were actually pretty good survivors. There was a ton of shade in that little ditch though, which may have been the only reason that many survived. Ever since it filled back up in July, it's kept on flowing. The shiners have migrated though(again), but there are still tons of chubs and redbreast around here. Maybe the shiners are just hiding somewhere? They seem to disappear for a month or two and then come back for a month or two. Maybe some sort of cycle?

The creek at my grandparents' house has kept running all year; although it has gotten a good bit shallower. There was a little creek that branched off of the main creek and re-connected about 100ft downstream, but it dried up. There are PLENTY of fish left in there. On Saturday nights I go out there with a flashlight, and everywhere you look there are YOY bluegill, warmouth, redbreast, and largemouth bass, as well as hundreds of mosquito fish and crawdads. The bullheads seem to prefer to stay in deeper water, and when I pass by go to hide under the overhangs and in roots. The Flint River and Morning Creek, which are both about 10-15 minutes away, both have stayed flowing all year as well.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

There was a little creek that branched off of the main creek and re-connected about 100ft downstream...

FYI, if you're interested. That's typically called a back channel, although some call it a side channel.

#16 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

FYI, if you're interested. That's typically called a back channel, although some call it a side channel.

Thanks. I knew there had to be a name for it. :-D

#17 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:15 AM

Back channels are great! All kinds of good stuff accumulates in them.

Florida is a good spot we need to meet one year. Fresh and saltwater opportunities abound, and there's plenty to do for the families we drag down with us. There are fewer species available than in Alabama, but everything else more than makes up for that.
It would be a bit pricey, though.

#18 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Collecting bait in Tennessee isn't the really where it's iffy, it's the possession, import/export part. Though the TWRA Region 4 office has a great tank with two state listed species in it :D If it were to happen again I'd venture to say it would take at least the level if not more cooperation than MDC gave at the Missouri conference and alot of assurances from some prominent NANFA members with TN connections.

#19 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

NANFA conferences are one of the best things about NANFA. The adventure and pleasure of visiting a different location in our country each year, the culture and history of that region, the new and renewed friendships, the fish, the native cuisine, all make for a wonderful time. Every convention since i first hosted the Chattanooga gathering in 98 has been inspiring. My only regret is not attending the Michigan conference.

The conventions have gotten so big that they really require a lot of volunteered help and the participation of a state's fish / wildlife divisions. Permits, access permissions, guides and guidance all are needed.

I wanted to host a return to Tenneessee but several issues are of concern. The most important is Tennessee law. When i buy my TN fishing license no mention is made of keeping native fish in aquariums. One is allowed to seine fish and use minnows, shiners, dace, darters as bait. Fisherman think those "candy colored minners" make great bait. However i have been told by folks at TWRA, TVA, CFI and the TN aquarium that an individul is NOT allowed to keep natives. I know that is the case with any kind of reptile, herp, mammal or bird. This would become a real issue if a large group of NANFA members were to have an encounter with TWRA officials in the field. If it is just me and a couple friends is one thing but if it is several out of state vehicles, more people and coolers filled with fish is quite another. I have never had that experience but know the possibility exists, and the more people involved the more the consequences can be expanded.

Recently i was offered some help in hosting another Tennessee convention and im sure that many of the folks that spoke in 98 would enjoy doing so again. It would be a great honor to have David Etnier speak again on any subject. There are many wonderful sites within an hour or two of Chattanooga and we have the TN Aquarium and Chattanooga Choo Choo as a home base. But getting special permission from TWRA and perhaps asking the wrong person could be very problematic.

Maybe one day i will pursue that. Until then we have wonderful commitments and possibilities in the works.

Im looking forward to Texas. Even tho there is not much diversity in that land it will be interesting and an experience i would not want to miss. Years ago, during a Texas tour, i had driven thru Athens and my family and i much enjoyed touring the native texas fish facility. Big gars, quiet pools, darter tanks, catfish ponds, riffle tanks. I thought then that it would make a great convention site and wow... now so it is planned for 2008! I hope they do BBQ and catfish right.

I would like to see conventions in Kentucky, Georgia and Florida. Kentucky formost. And interestingly i think it would be unique to do some thing way out west with Peter Unmack and his experience in that region. Tho the Southeast US has the most diversity that does not diminish the wonder of other locations. I would love to stand in the Arizon New Mexico deserts with stars stretched out far overhead and reflecting deep in a pool flowing from a cool desert spring. Maybe instead of stomping on those invader crayfish we could boil them up by moonlight.
:)

#20 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

[quote name='Casper Cox' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:05 PM' post='24947']
When i buy my TN fishing license no mention is made of keeping native fish in aquariums. One is allowed to seine fish and use minnows, shiners, dace, darters as bait. Fisherman think those "candy colored minners" make great bait. However i have been told by folks at TWRA, TVA, CFI and the TN aquarium that an individul is NOT allowed to keep natives.

I like Gene Helfman's approach. In his fabulous book FISH CONSERVATION he writes: "...in my home state of Georgia, a recreational fishing license gives me the right to use a small seine to capture, keep, and transport live bait fishes as long as they are not a game or state-listed species. I cannot, however, keep native fishes in the home aquarium as pets. As a consequence, I maintain a 200-liter glass bait bucket in my livingroom stocked with local, common minnows. I just don't get out to fish with them very often."

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users