Aquarium Setup

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

My son has a 46 gallon with a Eheim 2217. He has a lagremought bass, Alligator Gar, and blue gill. All of them are jeuvenile. My question is: do these fish need more oxygen than the Eheim supplies, and do you want a lot or little circulation?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

If the spray bar is at or a little above the water line, agitating the surface, it is fine.

Is the alligator gar a true alligator gar?

#3 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

If the spray bar is at or a little above the water line, agitating the surface, it is fine.

Is the alligator gar a true alligator gar?

I don't know what you mean by true Alligator gar? He looks like the pictures I see on this forum called a tropical gar. Here in the south we call them Alligator Gar.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

I don't know what you mean by true Alligator gar? He looks like the pictures I see on this forum called a tropical gar. Here in the south we call them Alligator Gar.

There are a few types down there. Tropical gar aren't common in the US. The common ones in the aquarium trade are spotted and florida.

Reason why I ask is that they are all going to require a big tank sooner than later. So it helps to make sure you know what you have. It will make a big difference.

#5 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

Yeah... true alligator gar is going to require a bigger "tank" in terms of the tanks that Sea World keeps Shamu in (well, closer to that than to anything on a hobbyist's aquarium scale anyway)

That's even a bit of a crunch for the bass to be in that tank alone when he gets bigger.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Alligator gar is a general catch all common name and could be used to describe any number of toothy ganoids. To really be accurate and for the sake of providing correct information knowing which one is very important. Every species of gar is a bit different husbandry wise.

You can find photos of all seven species (plus a few hybrids) here:
Primitive fish

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

You can find photos of all seven species (plus a few hybrids) here:
Primitive fish

That is a really cool site, Richard. Thanks for pointing it out!

#8 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Richard,
After looking at the pictures he looks like a spotted/Alligator gar also. They are very similar. I tell you what I'll do I'll take a picture this evening and let you experts tell me, but I need someone to tell me how to insert a picture. I don't see an icon to insert. Never mind I found the link to insert a picture

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

Richard,
After looking at the pictures he looks like a spotted/Alligator gar also. They are very similar. I tell you what I'll do I'll take a picture this evening and let you experts tell me, but I need someone to tell me how to insert a picture. I don't see an icon to insert. Never mind I found the link to insert a picture

A pic would definitely help a lot in pinning down the species. If you have any problems getting the pic up I can help you out with that.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

Here in the south we call them Alligator Gar.

Now, there is "down south" and there is the REAL south (GA, AL, MS). So, just what kind of southerner are you? Are you southern enough to be a member of the Catfish Alliance?

#11 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

Houston TX

Attached Files

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hmm. Reminds me of a line from "Full Metal Jacket" :D

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

Texas fits right in for the Gar alliance so if they (catfish) do not want you we do..
We are wherever Toothy ganoids prowl And your in ground zero for these babys ... :P

We will just confuse you for a bit until an ID pic pops up.... It is all in fun...
It does take some time to get used to Martin and his cat though.

#14 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Here are the pictures. Sorry I couldn't get a bett shot, but he was being lazy. So you experts tell me what I have.

Attached Files

#15 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

That is either a Florida (Lepisosteus platyrhincus) or a spotted (L. oculatus)... Did you catch the fish yourself???
If you did this would narrow it down further. These two fish are very similar and are difficult to distinguish without location information. If you caught it yourself that would be L. oculatus.

Care is the same in both cases though..Which I'm sorry to say your sons tank is not going to be ideal for long. A tank at least 4 foot long and 2 foot wide will be needed for the fish eventually. Average size in captivity is around 18 to 20 inches for a long term captive fish.

You have one very nice looking one by the way. Pattern is great on that fish.

#16 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

I found him on Craig's list here in Houston. The guy said he caught him in a cast net in a local pond. So what do you think he is now?

#17 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

I found him on Craig's list here in Houston. The guy said he caught him in a cast net in a local pond. So what do you think he is now?

Definitely a Spotted gar (L. oculatus) then... Actually a pretty good fish man as some including myself have been trying to get a hold of established locality spotted gars for some time. These fish are just not available despite there common status in many states. They are strangely very very hard to get. I have been begging for years now to get known locality fish.

Great fish!!!!!!! :D

(Sorry I get a bit excited about gars...)

#18 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

I got a 10 person hot tub off of Craig's list! Lots of good(and free) stuff on there! :-D

BTW, welcome to the forum and nice gar! Primitive fish have to be some of the most interesting of natives and tropicals alike.

#19 Guest_Bassmaster_*

Guest_Bassmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome....... If anybody wants a gar like this he has another one $10. Tell me what gars like to eat besides minnos? Also I've noticed he seems to hate moving water also. Any suggestions?

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome....... If anybody wants a gar like this he has another one $10. Tell me what gars like to eat besides minnos? Also I've noticed he seems to hate moving water also. Any suggestions?

Gar can be trained off minnows and will take market shrimp, frozen fish fillet, Frozen whole silversides and pellets. It takes a bit of work but is worth doing. They are not fond of high flow water so reducing or diverting the flow would benefit the fish.

There are a few different ways to get the fish off live food..I'll post up links to this in just a bit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users