North American Native Herps

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

(suggestion copied here from another thread per teleost's suggestion)

I was thinking... wouldn't it be nice to have a subforum for Native Herps under Other Related Discussion?

I don't see how it is any more OT than mussels or plants, which have their own subforums.

Herps & fish have always sort of gone together like peas & carrots.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

The invert and plant forum (though the plant forum title doesn't specify this) are directly related to the aquatic environment and often part of N.A. native fish keeping. Mussels in particular directly relate to N.A. native fish because of their need for fish as hosts to complete their life cycle.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:56 PM

I believe it was brought up awhile ago that we will not be making a herps forum. There are other fine herps forums out there. I could just repeat what Matt said regarding the other existing forums, but I won't.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

Well it would save me a few clicks to have both fish and herps in the same forum. :-D
However I have to agree, there are some great herp forums out there, well established.
The herp equivelent to the native fish forum is here:
http://www.fieldherp...ec3790048f70555
This is the forum for observing. photographing and sometimes collecting herps in the field. Several members here are members there as well.

#5 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

This is the forum for observing. photographing and sometimes collecting herps in the field. Several members here are members there as well.

Excellent. I'm a member there now, thanks.

I've actually been cleaning up some space to put up a herp rack in my home office. I'm looking forward to hopefully finding a few nice snakes in the spring.

#6 Guest_TheLorax_*

Guest_TheLorax_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

Will check that forum out in the months to come. Looks nice. Problem is limited time to be online.

#7 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

Well it would save me a few clicks to have both fish and herps in the same forum. :-D
However I have to agree, there are some great herp forums out there, well established.

SWEET! Thanks!

I totally agree with Magnus. Frogs, turtles, water snakes, salamanders..... lots of critters need the water to complete their life cycle. The Fish are just afraid of being upstaged. Things with fins tend to be a little jealous and insecure around of things with legs. (And terrified of things that slither!)

I'm really surprised, Vir, given your status, that you can't get this pushed through. Maybe a visit to the head office by a some band of Mountain Trolls would be in order? :biggrin:

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

As with the other incredibly old and stagnant topics, this has been discussed and was decided upon that no action would be currently taken. As far as things needing water as the arguement, this is a native fish forum, not a native (aquatic) ecosystem forum. Mussels require fish to complete their life cycle, two don't before someone points that out, and are therefore directly related to N.A. native fish conservation.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users