Two more fish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

These were caught in different places than the other creek chubs.

The first was caught in a little pool in Ludington.

The second and third are the same fish, and it looks like it has too narrow of a head to be a creek chub.
Sorry about the blurriness, but he doesn't stop moving, especially when he thinks he's getting food.
The third picture, the fish is facing away, and due to some algae on the glass, you can't see the rest of his nose. The second picture you can see his full head though.

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

The second looks like it has too narrow of a head to be a creek chub.
Sorry about the blurriness, but he doesn't stop moving, especially when he thinks he's getting food.

To me they do not look like chubs, although I do not know what they are, they do not look like chubs.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

common shiner? golden shiner?

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

It's hard to tell from those pics but it looks like a juvenile fall fish [often incorrectly called 'creek chubs" or "dace"].
Does this look like what you have?
Posted Image

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

The second and third are the same fish, and it looks like it has too narrow of a head to be a creek chub.
The third picture, the fish is facing away, and due to some algae on the glass, you can't see the rest of his nose. The second picture you can see his full head though.

My guess for the second fish is common shiner.

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:43 PM

I'd guess the second fish as C. spiloptera and the third fish as your local luxilus. That first one (don't laugh) I believe is a yoy luxilus due to the electric yellow stripe and eye size. You have both Luxilus chrysocephalus and Luxilus cornutus so if I'm in the right genus, you'll have to look them up.

#7 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

I'm probably WAYYYY off, but the 1st fish reminds me strongly of the "Big Eye Shiners" (Notropsis boops ) swimming in my tank...

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'm probably WAYYYY off, but the 1st fish reminds me strongly of the "Big Eye Shiners" (Notropsis boops ) swimming in my tank...

yeah i can see that!

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

I'd guess the second fish as C. spiloptera and the third fish as your local luxilus. That first one (don't laugh) I believe is a yoy luxilus due to the electric yellow stripe and eye size. You have both Luxilus chrysocephalus and Luxilus cornutus so if I'm in the right genus, you'll have to look them up.

Maybe L chrysocephalus, doesn't look much like any of the L cornutus we have up here. Although, for some reason most common shiners I see in field guides don't look like the ones we have up here either. They do have the yellow stripes though. Here's one from New Hampshire that grew up in my river tank.
Posted Image

#10 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

Just for clarification, the second and third pictures are of the same fish. The third one was just to get a clearer look at the body shape, but that was when it was all stressed out.

mikez, the body shape and lines along it are the same just about, but it has a central mouth, not a bottom mouth for the first picture.
The second picture is more like it, but they look different probably because that one in the picture is older since mine is about 1 inch long.
Also, it's difficult to see, but the back fin on the first fish is very high. Probably taller than the fishes body.

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

Picture one is one of two species based on your fuzzy picture... Striped Shiner or Common Shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus or L. cornutus). The fish in Picture 2 and 3 is without a doubt in my mind a spotfin shiner (Cyprinella spiloptera). I am also baseing these assesments on ranges and your pictures. You would need a very clear picture looking down at the back of the fish to decide between those two species because they are very similar.

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

Luxilus I would bet money on being L. cornutus. I used to sample around Ludington alot and never saw L. chrysocephalus . Usually L. chrysocephalus show up lower in the state in the South haven area and lower if along Lake Michigans shore line. (Inland lakes can be a different matter) Does not mean that bait introduction or natural range increase has occurred but this is what I'd suspect given past experience.

In the future though sumthinsfishy could you please make an effort to get pics of fish your not sure of onsite and not collect them until you get a little better at pinning an ID on them. There are sensitive species known for this area and we really do not want to be collecting them and taking ID as an after thought.

#13 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:02 AM

I've been looking for a good book that would help me ID these. And I'm only bad at minnows.
The top one was caught when I was netting baby bluegill, and I didn't even realize I had them until I got to my house and found a couple swimming around the plants in the bucket.
The second one was caught when I was trying to get darters from a stream and my friend didn't want them anymore, so I couldn't let them go, seeing as how that would not be a good thing to do.

#14 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

I've been looking for a good book that would help me ID these.

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0472113712
http://www.amazon.co..._sim_b_title_13

And since you are in Michigan it would be good to familiarize yourself with this resource.
http://www.michigan....30538--,00.html
http://www.michigan....37191--,00.html

#15 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

I printed off a copy of the fish list for the exact reason of being able to know what fish live here at the beginning of summer.

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

I printed off a copy of the fish list for the exact reason of being able to know what fish live here at the beginning of summer.

If your talking about the fish atlas on the DNR site that is not a fish list...

Click on the common name and it gives you current vouchered distribution maps
Click on the Scientific name and it gives you an illustration with ID traits

You really need more than just a list of Michigan fishes to properly ID fish and learn ID characters and where you will find them in the state.

#17 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

There is a fish list, but it's a different site, but still on the dnr.
I printed it off because I'm making a scrapbook of all the Michigan fish I've caught, and I started it late July of this year.

http://www.michigand...of_MIfishes.pdf

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

Wow, down in the footnotes, it says that the western sand shiner inhabits the menominee river. Huh, western sand shiner? The latin says it is a darter.

#19 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

What?

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

There is a fish list, but it's a different site, but still on the dnr.
I printed it off because I'm making a scrapbook of all the Michigan fish I've caught, and I started it late July of this year.

http://www.michigand...of_MIfishes.pdf

Did you look at the links I posted at all? and are you not understanding this and why it is being brought to your attention?

I know about the Michigan fish list..I also know it has some issues and will be revised soon.

This is not the point though..
A list of species does not help you ID things on the streamside nor does it give you an inkling of an idea of where these fish are found.

Please let me repeat this again:
In the future though sumthinsfishy could you please make an effort to get pics of fish your not sure of onsite and not collect them until you get a little better at pinning an ID on them.

I'm sorry I'm getting snippy here but I have tried to give you resources and you seem to be discarding them. These resources are pretty important for you if you collect in this state and you need to understand them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users