Fishes that are Endangered, Threatened, SOC

51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

I created the attached document, so I know what species to learn so that I do not accidentally bring any of the "special" fish home.
I challenge every NANFA member to create a similar list from their state and post it here. One of the people that does this will get the "Unofficial NANFA Forum Silver Dollar"

From The ODNR website.

Fishes that are Considered Endangered, Threatened,
Species of Concern, Special Interest, Extirpated, or Extinct in Ohio
(updated September 2007)

Ohio uses six categories: endangered, threatened, species of concern, special interest, extirpated, and extinct, to further define the status of selected wildlife.

Attached File  Special_Fishes_In_Ohio.pdf   81.23KB   48 downloads
Viewable Online Here

Tom

EDIT: The selection process has been PM'd to Drewish, this way it's 100% unknown who will win the silver $.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

There not gunna give up on Scioto madtom are they? :grin: I understand why the fed's don't like listing things as extinct but that would be a shocker among fish 'rediscoveries' in my opinion.

That seems low for least and iowa's too.

Maryland (all flora fauna)

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

There not gunna give up on Scioto madtom are they?

Maryland (all flora fauna)

I hope not

Also, I'm looking for just a list of fish species, I hate scrolling through pages and pages of other things to get the info I want. ODNR has the information spread out through like 6 links on their site.

Tom

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

VIRGINIA

I created this a while ago for my own use. It doesn't have photo credits in it, as I never intened it for public distribution. I try to track down the credits so I can post an updated version.

Attached Files

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

VIRGINIA

Thats great, I wouldn't worry about photo credits, you didn't claim to take them.

#6 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

The federal, state and provincial listing status of every North American freshwater fish is given at the NANFA web site:

http://www.nanfa.org...ting_status.xls

It's a cumbersome Excel spreadsheet. Does anyone know how to covert it to a user-friendly and easily updateable web-based database?

Chris Scharpf
NANFA HQ

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thats great, I wouldn't worry about photo credits, you didn't claim to take them.

No, but those who did should get credit for it. Or at least I can give the website.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

The federal, state and provincial listing status of every North American freshwater fish is given at the NANFA web site:

http://www.nanfa.org...ting_status.xls

It's a cumbersome Excel spreadsheet. Does anyone know how to covert it to a user-friendly and easily updateable web-based database?

Chris Scharpf
NANFA HQ

PM me, I have some thought on this!

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

No, but those who did should get credit for it. Or at least I can give the website.

True.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

What I'm trying to do is get people involved and learn T/E fishes in their state. Also these lists would be handy to take on collecting trips especially if you're going out of state.

#11 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

What I'm trying to do is get people involved and learn T/E fishes in their state. Also these lists would be handy to take on collecting trips especially if you're going out of state.

I agree, this is a great idea.

One thing to note. As far as photo rights go, just "giving credit" is not enough. If you use someone else's photograph you must have permission to use it. Just because someone posts their intellectual property on the internet does NOT make it "Fair Use".

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

The following attachment has everything you should know about vulnerable species of all kinds in Alabama, in 59 pages.

Attached File  AlabamaInventoryList.pdf   489.14KB   38 downloads

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

I agree, this is a great idea.

One thing to note. As far as photo rights go, just "giving credit" is not enough. If you use someone else's photograph you must have permission to use it. Just because someone posts their intellectual property on the internet does NOT make it "Fair Use".

True, but like he said it is for personal use.

#14 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

The following attachment has everything you should know about vulnerable species of all kinds in Alabama, in 59 pages.

59 pages?

I'm looking for just a list of fish species, I hate scrolling through pages and pages of other things to get the info I want.

59 pages is not handy. That would eat some ink printing that beast out!

#15 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

...so you've just gotten your buckets, nets, coolers, waders, lunch, maps, permits or licenses, etc. etc. etc. together to go out in the field, and you find a 59 page booklet telling you what stuff you should or shouldn't take unwieldy?

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

permits? licenses?? We don' need no stinkin' 59 page booklet with 27 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is.

I'll take the two-page checklist! Besides, if I catch anything endangered I can always return it to the wild after I've kept it for a while.

#17 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Uh, several pages in the Alabama 'zine are about fish, with said .pdf in hand you can elect to print only the 3 pages about fish...

#18 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

Besides, if I catch anything endangered I can always return it to the wild after I've kept it for a while.

Wow...While I get that your joking, there are people who won't get that.

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

I was more or less counting on somebody to point out the error of my ways!

#20 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

...so you've just gotten your buckets, nets, coolers, waders, lunch, maps, permits or licenses, etc. etc. etc. together to go out in the field, and you find a 59 page booklet telling you what stuff you should or shouldn't take unwieldy?

If 54 pages of it are not pertinent to fish, I find it very unwieldy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users