Anyone tried building yur own acrylic tank?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

I would really like to have a large tank for sunfish - this is my first sketch it calculates out to 299 Gallons (2400 Lbs. of water). This is probably too big but would be nice. The only way I could ever actully get into one of these would be to build it myself. I am pretty handy and the wood portion doesn't concern me but I have never worked with acrylic before. Anyone had experiance? Suggestions? Warnings? How thick should I go with the acrylic?

Attached File  aquarium1.jpg   58.62KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:31 PM

This is probably a bit more realistic - 224 Gallons or if I made it 18" deep it would be 200 Gal

Attached File  aquarium6foot224gal.jpg   58.02KB   2 downloads

#3 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:48 AM

man, that looks like a big, ambitious project.

have you considered getting a quote from any builders, such as Aquariums for You.

#4 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

sketchup ftw? that would be a really cool tank--i would just consider how difficult it would be to work in and how likely you would be to scratch the acrylic in doing so... or in making it. it might be worth at least talking to a tank builder like puchisapo suggested to see if they think it could be done. nice model though... did you make those plants?

#5 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

sketchup ftw? that would be a really cool tank--i would just consider how difficult it would be to work in and how likely you would be to scratch the acrylic in doing so... or in making it. it might be worth at least talking to a tank builder like puchisapo suggested to see if they think it could be done. nice model though... did you make those plants?

I did the design in sketchup but I didn't do the plants myself. If i decide to build it I'll do a better mockup in another program. Sketchup is all I had on my laptop.

I will get a price but think it will be too much $$$. I am thinking I will build a sump tank first and see how that goes then decide if I want to tackle the big tank myself. I wouldn't mind spending he money myself but think I would have a hard time convincing the wife.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

http://www.cichlid-f...ic_aquarium.php

As per this and a couple other sites, you will likely be needing 3/4in acrylic. I think that stuff is upwards of $30-40/sq ft when I was lookin in Sacramento a couple years ago, unless I wasn't looking in the right place. I would expect it to be more expensive now. Add that up and you may be near a custom-built glass aquarium. And if you have it built, and it leaks, its not your fault. Save some points with the wife that way too :cool: . Glass would last much longer too. my 2cents.

OR you could try making a glass one yourself...check material costs.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

Looks like a righteous tank - good luck with it.

#8 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

i have also seen this theme treated on Reef Central and Planted Tank Forums, so you could go to those too and search.

#9 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

I sent the latest version to a couple places for a quote - havn't heard anything back yet. Where would be the best place for overflow/s in this? or should I stick with canaster filters?

Thanks for all the comments

Attached File  aquarium6foot200gal.jpg   61.32KB   2 downloads

#10 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:14 AM

i would be inclined to use an overflow + sump. the best place to situate the overflow in this design would be to extend woodwork up the rear side of the more shallow section, then incorporate space there for the overflow and return plumbing.

this will be a really cool tank. you must post pictures when you get it started.

#11 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:36 AM

Im sure it could be done....lots of planning...but another alernative to consider would be a plywood/glass tank.

here are a couple of good sites.

http://members.shaw....nk/Startb~1.htm
http://www.wizardsca...m/aquarium.html
http://www.cichlid-f...d_aquarium2.php

#12 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:52 PM

One thing you may want to consider is the amount of extra preasure your deep end will have. You need thincker walls to withstand the preasure of the deeper the tank.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Just looking at the 2nd and 3rd sketches - is the upper part of the tank going to be a bog? Or is it going to have water all the way to the top??

#14 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

I would REALLY worry about that "inside" corner. This is one that I would not attempt without some professional advice.

#15 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

I would REALLY worry about that "inside" corner. This is one that I would not attempt without some professional advice.

I sent it to two places in Texas - one said they could not do it because of the inside corner but all they do is glass. The other place never responded. Looking for more places near me to save on shipping...

Irate - I am planning on filling the tank. Not sure what you mean by bog. The upper section would be heavily planted.

#16 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

One thing you may want to consider is the amount of extra preasure your deep end will have. You need thincker walls to withstand the preasure of the deeper the tank.

Yes that is my main concern - That the acrylic may have to be so thick it that it makes this impractical.

I did find something though...

from http://www.seavisions.com but they are in south florida.

Dimensions Aquarium Section 96" Long 80" High 20" Wide

Capacity 310Gallons

Construction Cast Acrylic 1.750" (That's Thick!!)

Attached File  rodgerskitchenside.jpg   60.52KB   2 downloads

#17 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

Here's an idea,
Why not use a regular glass tank of that size then use glass or acrylic to section off the lower corner? Or use acrylic to make a shelf that could be planted (might need legs to support), and the fish could go underneath? Both methods would lessen the chance of leakage.

You'd lose the storage space in the cabinet, but you could make a cabinet that covers that area with false doors.

#18 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

Here's an idea,
Why not use a regular glass tank of that size then use glass or acrylic to section off the lower corner? Or use acrylic to make a shelf that could be planted (might need legs to support), and the fish could go underneath? Both methods would lessen the chance of leakage.

You'd lose the storage space in the cabinet, but you could make a cabinet that covers that area with false doors.

I am considering doing that but, I don't understand why leakage would be a worry any more than a regular tank the way I have it designed?

#19 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

I am considering doing that but, I don't understand why leakage would be a worry any more than a regular tank the way I have it designed?

I was thinking there might be stress on the seams due to the inside corner, especially if the stand wasn't an absolute perfect fit.

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

I don't see a problem with the inside corner. I've built plenty of tanks, just not with acrylic.

Just build it. If it busts, then you can tell the rest of us what NOT to do!

There was a book I reviewed several years ago - I think the review was in A/C. I'll dig it up for you and mail it to you if you want. It gives precise instructions on how to build a quality acrylic tank. Following the author's method you will need a router.

Pmail me if you want it. And if I can find it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users