Some type of sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Natalie_*

Guest_Natalie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

I found a little sunfish (I think that's what he is) in with a shipment of goldfish, and I've been unable to find out what he is. He is about 2cm long and completely transparent with vertical banding on his body. He has an elongated shape like a bass or Green Sunfish, but a very small mouth compared to those species. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it is indeed a sunfish, and possibly (this is a stretch) narrow it down to a certain species or species-complex. I am in California, but I think the goldfish were farm-raised in Florida, as have found fish like Bluefin Killies and catfish in with them in years past.

Here are the photos, sorry they are such poor quality:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, here is a link to a thread I created on another site, which has some more pictures and more info on the fish:

http://www.fishprofi...36267.1.htm?11#

Thanks for any help.

#2 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

I'd guess Bluegill.

does it look a lot like this?

http://www.btny.purd...41/bluegill.JPG

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

I found a little sunfish (I think that's what he is) in with a shipment of goldfish, and I've been unable to find out what he is. He is about 2cm long and completely transparent with vertical banding on his body. He has an elongated shape like a bass or Green Sunfish, but a very small mouth compared to those species. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it is indeed a sunfish, and possibly (this is a stretch) narrow it down to a certain species or species-complex. I am in California, but I think the goldfish were farm-raised in Florida, as have found fish like Bluefin Killies and catfish in with them in years past.
Thanks for any help.

Without better pictures it will be very hard to ID. Also update your location information.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

Looks like either a bluegill or a redbreast. Are the vertical bars on the side kind of pinkish/orangish?

I'm leaning a little more towards bluegill because in the third picture there looks like there's a black spot on the soft dorsal.

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

bluegill.

Fritz

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

The only reason I mentioned redbreast is because bars look single. Bluegill are double-barred.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

Those pictures are totally unclear, and therefore inconclusive. However, in the bottom picture, I believe that I see a black spot at the rear base of the dorsal fin. That suggests bluegill or green sunfish. Since you say the mouth is too small to be green sunfish, then bluegill.

Just the same, is there a black spot at the rear base of the anal fin? If so, then green sunfish. It looks more elongated like a green. Are there tiny black specks on the side, like somebody sprinkled pepper on it? I don't mean blackspot disease, these will be finer spots. They are indicative of a green sunfish. At this small size, however, their absence does not mean that it isn't a green. I'm inclined to go with green because of the elongation. Also, I've seen greens come in with feeders, and heard other reports of this also. I've never heard (at least that I can recall) of a bluegill coming in with the feeders. Of course that doesn't prove that it's not a bluegill.

It's definitely a bluegill or a green sunfish. Look for the specks and the anal fin spot.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

I agree with you, Ed.

I still lean towards bluegill because I've seen young ones that are just as elongate.

Maybe it's a... HYBRID!!! :shock:

#9 Guest_Natalie_*

Guest_Natalie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:08 PM

So it seems the general consensus is that it's a Bluegill, eh?

Are the vertical bars on the side kind of pinkish/orangish?

The vertical bars are, as far as I can tell, black in color.

Just the same, is there a black spot at the rear base of the anal fin? If so, then green sunfish. It looks more elongated like a green.

The fish is not currently in my posession, but I don't recall seeing any black spot on the anal fin. I'll be able to check on the fish to be sure in a couple days.

Are there tiny black specks on the side, like somebody sprinkled pepper on it? I don't mean blackspot disease, these will be finer spots.

The only black dots I see on it are the chromatophores that make up the vertical bands on the fish, which I don't think is what you are talking about. I don't see any other markings on it, but then again, the 3" Green Sunfish I keep (also came in with feeder goldfish) does not seem to have black dots on it either.

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

... but then again, the 3" Green Sunfish I keep (also came in with feeder goldfish) does not seem to have black dots on it either.

Look more closely. I bet you'll see them.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

Bluegill. That settles it. There will be no further discussion.

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

Bluegill. That settles it. There will be no further discussion.

Irate has spoken!

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

It does appear to be a bluegill but the pictures make it difficult to be sure.

#14 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

No more discussion, HAH!

Sunfish are hard to ID when they are this little. To my eye, this is definitely NOT a green. Blugill most likely. This looks a lot like juvenile pumkinseeds that I have seen. (Maybe those were bluegills too!)

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

It looks like a juvenile Blur (Blurrius photographicus) to me.

#16 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

bluegill I have goten sunnies like that from goldfish tanks the greens looked more roundish to me and I see the dorsal spot

and tom
they changed the latin name of the blurr last week
come one how can you be so far behind :lol:

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

they changed the latin name of the blurr last week

Yeah now it's:
Lepomis blurryensis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users