Pentair Lifegard Filters

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but it seems like a good resource. I'm in charge of a 300 gallon public aquarium in New Jersey stocked with sunfish, bass, and black crappies. I currently have a trickle filter that was installed by the company that built tank and a closed loop that currently has an ocean clear UV filter. The UV portion of ocean clear is not functioning. I'd like to get a new filters for the closed loop and I was considering Pentair's lifegard system. Does anybody have experience with their filters? Thanks.

#2 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hello, cml. Are you working over in Camden? When you get a chance, please update your location in your profile. This helps the rest of us out when answering questions and helps to build our community here. And welcome to the forum!

I do have experience with these. I used to run one on a 135 gallon tank. It came with the tank (I got it all for free from someone going through an ugly divorce... his ex was going to take a sledgehammer to it if he didn't remove it from "her" house)

But back to the question...

I suppose it worked somewhat adequately, but getting spare parts for it was tough. Maintenance was not would I would consider easy. And for its size, it didn't even really impress me.

It's a shame that Eheim doesn't make huge filters anymore, or I would steer you in that direction. I've had great luck with Eheims in densely stocked public display tanks way-back-when.

A hobbyist might be able to get away with an Eheim Professional 3 Canister Filter (2080) but something more substantial would be in order for your display. I'm not as up-to-date with larger scale closed-loop systems anymore so I don't know what is out there these days.

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Maybe a fluval fx5?

#4 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Maybe a fluval fx5?

Oooh nice.

Maybe 2x fluval fx5's. The FX5 is "only" rated to 400 gallons. I don't know about you, but I've never trusted manufacturer ratings, especially if I were spec'ing out a public display tank with these kinds of fish in it.

Yes, there is a wet/dry component to this tank, also, so maybe that accounts for adding a safety margin.

At $300 a pop, I'd ask my boss for 2 of them.

According to their specs, one FX5 with filter media would turn over the tank water volume 2x in an hour (maybe a little less when you figure in the water transient in the filtration systems). I don't know how much I trust that spec. I've seen enough aquarium filter reviews where filter output is timed into a 5 gallon bucket and flow rate is calculated to be far below manufacturer marketing spec.

And again... they don't call 'em "crappies" for nothing. I would want the extra filtration. :laugh:

#5 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

I just noticed in the product description for the FX5...

This high-powered biological filter with optional chemical and mechanical add-ons (...)

D'oh.

#6 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

Apparently Eheim still makes a suitable filter for a 300 gallon aquarium:
http://www.aquariumg...mcanister1.html

#7 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hello, cml. Are you working over in Camden? When you get a chance, please update your location in your profile. This helps the rest of us out when answering questions and helps to build our community here. And welcome to the forum!

I do have experience with these. I used to run one on a 135 gallon tank. It came with the tank (I got it all for free from someone going through an ugly divorce... his ex was going to take a sledgehammer to it if he didn't remove it from "her" house)

But back to the question...

I suppose it worked somewhat adequately, but getting spare parts for it was tough. Maintenance was not would I would consider easy. And for its size, it didn't even really impress me.

It's a shame that Eheim doesn't make huge filters anymore, or I would steer you in that direction. I've had great luck with Eheims in densely stocked public display tanks way-back-when.

A hobbyist might be able to get away with an Eheim Professional 3 Canister Filter (2080) but something more substantial would be in order for your display. I'm not as up-to-date with larger scale closed-loop systems anymore so I don't know what is out there these days.

Thanks for the reply. No I work at an environmental center in Howell, NJ. I'm honestly not sure what to do now. The company that built the tank and installed the wet/dry didn't have any options for the closed loop beyond using my Ocean Clear canister and my bosses wanted me to reuse what I had. I'll have to keep looking I guess. The Eheim looks interesting but for the price I might as well go back to the Ocean Clear since I know it. Thanks again and I'll update my profile.

#8 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

You did mention that the UV portion was not working, and that's understandable as the bulbs need to be changed frequently. But what was the problem with the closed loop filter that made you originally want to swap it out?

#9 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

You did mention that the UV portion was not working, and that's understandable as the bulbs need to be changed frequently. But what was the problem with the closed loop filter that made you originally want to swap it out?

I didn't explain this but the problem with the UV is that water got into the unit. Luckily the UV was not plugged in at the time. I've not been able to find just the UV portion for that model. It might exist but being part of a government agency makes it hard to just buy stuff randomly. There's nothing wrong with the closed loop , I just want to add more filtration. This model does mechanical filtration but it's really designed as a pre-filter for the UV rather than a stand alone mechanical unit. I also want a filter that's somewhat easy for my staff to clean and care for and Lifegard seemed to be that. Price is also an issue. I work with Foster and Smith a lot since they're willing to work with me and their current price for the Lifegard mechanical and chemical modules (rated for 300 gallons) would be about the same as one mechanical filter from Ocean Clear. For the moment I've decided not to use a UV because I'm worried about heat loads. I can't buy a chiller this year either. I have so many constraints with my system that I'm amazed it works as well as it does. I've been forced to place my filtration a distance from the tank in a room that wasn't really designed for that usage but I have no choice. I have other issues too, but it makes life interesting, and our visitors love the tank so it doesn't matter what I think. Thanks for your help.

#10 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Ahhhhh big equipment needs, next to no budget. I know that feeling. :biggrin:

Have you considered the DIY approach to aquarium filtration? Visit the local Home Depot, check out the PVC pipe & fittings, plastic buckets, egg crate... let the imagination run a little wild... cannibalize a water pump from somewhere....

This approach was the way many aquarists used to have to do it before there was such a plethora of affordable equipment out there. Some of us still like the DIY approach to fill niches that would otherwise require a lot of $$$ unnecessarily.

#11 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

Ahhhhh big equipment needs, next to no budget. I know that feeling. :biggrin:

Have you considered the DIY approach to aquarium filtration? Visit the local Home Depot, check out the PVC pipe & fittings, plastic buckets, egg crate... let the imagination run a little wild... cannibalize a water pump from somewhere....

This approach was the way many aquarists used to have to do it before there was such a plethora of affordable equipment out there. Some of us still like the DIY approach to fill niches that would otherwise require a lot of $$$ unnecessarily.

Yeah the budget is a concern. I'm also in charge of our reptile/amphibian collection so I have to spread the money around. I have the money for a new canister filter I just need to decide which system to go with. I have no problem with DIY but I have to be somewhat careful with what I place in this "filter" room. I've gotten a lot of grief using the wet/dry as it is. It's not easy. I inherited a badly designed tank and filtration system that I added things to over time but not always the right things in hindsight. I now have a great tank and good biological filter with the wet/dry but the closed loop is not up to par since I was told to reuse filters (not a bad idea in theory) and I also bought some filters for the old tank that were not exactly right. My background is really with the reptiles rather than the fish, but I've learned a lot over the last few years.

#12 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Any chance you could post some pictures of the space you have to work with behind the tank? I'm also thinking of some gravity-based return options, so please include the area above the back of the tank, as well.

What is the current bio-load on the tank, and the feeding regimen?

This can be done. It might take some creativity to work within tight budgetary constraints and keep it looking good/clean/professional but you've got an audience full of clever and resourceful people here who feel your pain and want to see you succeed.

Also some specs on how the current closed loop system is plumbed into the tank, please.

#13 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Any chance you could post some pictures of the space you have to work with behind the tank? I'm also thinking of some gravity-based return options, so please include the area above the back of the tank, as well.

What is the current bio-load on the tank, and the feeding regimen?

This can be done. It might take some creativity to work within tight budgetary constraints and keep it looking good/clean/professional but you've got an audience full of clever and resourceful people here who feel your pain and want to see you succeed.

Also some specs on how the current closed loop system is plumbed into the tank, please.

Thanks for the help. I currently have five fish in the tank with an average length of around 5 to 6 inches. We try to feed every other day with different kinds of food (live and commercial) but the staff doesn't always adhere to the feeding schedule. I'm always looking for a better feeding regimen. Before I found this site I was hard pressed to get information on feeding native fish in captivity. The filtration is currently in a different room with a run about 15 to 20 feet from the tank. The closed loop uses 1" line and a separate pump. It is drained at the mid-level through the bulkhead. The wet/dry is run off a 2" inch gravity feed line and then pumped back into the tank with 1" line. So I have two return lines. In a perfect world the wet/dry and closed loop would have been under the tank in the cabinet but the tank is at the heart of a display that needs to be low enough for kids and adults to see. Plus there is a large window behind the exhibit that couldn't be blocked (I have way too much light but I can't do much about that). I can't resign the building. I did and still have considered placing he filtration behind the exhibit but there are a number of problems with that so I don't think it's an option right now. The time to have done that would have been when I was installing the new tank. I really think I'm forced to just keep what I have as far as location and just buy the best closed loop filter I can.

#14 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

THanks for clarifying.

I don't think that most hobbyist-level prepackaged hardware is going to be appropriate for this application, given the distance of the return run and the diameter of the return line.

Measuring vertically (understanding there is a considerable horizontal run) how far is the current closed loop return pump from where the return enters the display? One of the most critical considerations here is going to be spec'ing out a return pump that can handle the distance and the head pressure involved with the return, through a 1" diameter return line.

Or is the current pump sufficient?

#15 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

THanks for clarifying.

I don't think that most hobbyist-level prepackaged hardware is going to be appropriate for this application, given the distance of the return run and the diameter of the return line.

Measuring vertically (understanding there is a considerable horizontal run) how far is the current closed loop return pump from where the return enters the display? One of the most critical considerations here is going to be spec'ing out a return pump that can handle the distance and the head pressure involved with the return, through a 1" diameter return line.

Or is the current pump sufficient?

The current pump is sufficient. It's a pretty powerful even with the weird plumbing both vertical and horizontal. I'd guess the vertical height to the return is about 1 1/2 to 2 feet but in the filter room the plumbing was forced to go up and over the wet/dry and originally went up higher and into the chiller and then down toward the tank. The problem isn't really with the pumps or even the plumbing as it now stands. It's not ideal but I have good flow going back into the tank. Like you said, the prepackaged filters might not be the best option but might end up being the only option. It has to be a canister filter and it has to be rated for at least 300 gallons. Like I said, it might come down to price but I don't want to waste money.

#16 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

I noticed Ocean Clear makes some rather large capacity filter modules that are meant to go in-line in an existing closed loop system.

http://www.thatpetpl...599/product.web

I hope your existing pump is up to the task. Mind those specs!

#17 Guest_ckraft_*

Guest_ckraft_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

these people seem to offer parts for Oceanclear

http://www.aquaticec...d/4616/cid/1270

#18 Guest_cml_*

Guest_cml_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

these people seem to offer parts for Oceanclear

http://www.aquaticec...d/4616/cid/1270

Thanks. You can get certain parts but I need the whole UV lamp and not just the bulb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users