fraser fir safer for tank decorations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

Is it safe to use part of a fraser fir, balsam fir or canaan fir Christmas tree in a tank as decorations and cover?

Thanks

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Is it safe to use part of a fraser fir, balsam fir or canaan fir Christmas tree in a tank as decorations and cover?

Thanks

I have no experience with using these woods in a tank, but I would stick to hardwoods. NO WALNUT. Many of the evergreens have more tannic acid. Cedar, and redwood for instance are loaded. That is why these woods are soft, but still rot resistant. I think they would poison a tank pretty quick. The firs are lower in tannic acid, very soft, and quick to rot. I think you would end up with lots of mold on these woods.

#3 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

I can only relate non-authoritative secondhand info that I have picked up over the years. Fresh branches of almost all species are probably not OK. Too many chemicals and nutrients can leach out. I would think that evergreens are particularly nasty. Beech is supposedly good to use when "green". (Strip off the bark before using.) Oak may be OK too (but may acidify the water). Almost all tree species are OK after being in a body of water for extended periods (i.e. driftwood). I have always stuck with well-aged driftwood.

You can always try an experiment. Add a few expendable fish and see what happens. Watch the pH. Carbon filtration may catch the worst of the bad stuff.

Also, a member of this site (I do not remember who), kept loricarid cafishes which eat wood. He posted photos on his introductory page and his tanks seemed to have lots of fresh wood for the catfishes to eat. Search the "Welcome" section of the forum. He may have some good insight on this.

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:59 PM

I've used fresh white oak in my tanks with no problems.

Just wondering about Christmas trees.

#5 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

all of the species that are sold commerically as Christmas trees are used as such because they grow fast. my guess is that they all have very soft wood that rots quick.

i have never handled fraser fir, but balsam fir has very soft, almost pithy wood that's bound to start falling apart quick and fouling your tank..

#6 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

Personally, I just wish I had a tank big enough that I could put a Christmas tree in it. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users