• Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

come on guys dont leave me alone with tom... :D

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

come on guys dont leave me alone with tom... :D

They wanted you to suffer, now I'm all alone in the chatroom!!

#4 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Just the two of us... we can make it if we try...

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Haha, that's cool...but no one was on!

#6 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

Haha, that's cool...but no one was on!

You were too slow. We're trying a different chat now. One that will integrate better with the forum!

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

You were too slow. We're trying a different chat now. One that will integrate better with the forum!

I found one that should esaily integrate with our forum here and actually use the same login info. I'll talk to Drew tomorrow.

Tom

#8 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:46 AM

The original one that was posted had a few bad quirks to it, at least with my Mac anyway. For example:
* Changing tabs in your web browser would log you out of chat.
* Clipboard (copy/paste functions) didn't work.

The new one that Tom found that I was helping him test for a short while last night had none of these problems, and as he says, we'll be able to use forum ID's for access control.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:29 AM

The Adobe one posted last night essentially made my computer melt down. CPU went nuts fan was screaming IE crashed and froze. With fewer than 5 people in it or a scheduled time, which didn't really work well in the past, it's going to be hard to make it worth while for me. A scheduled time makes alot of sense with topics even, but we had a hard enough time months ago just setting up a scientific discussion group within that subforum. For better or worse, threads are used to varying degrees of live chat.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

CPU went nuts fan was screaming IE crashed and froze.

Sounds like a VISTA machine!

This one will be different and work with the forum. Besides, it's free. Listserv people didn't seem to take to the forum right away, but they came around, most of them.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Nope it's an XP machine that is only about a year and a half old and has never had a problem before and can run ArcGIS, SAS ans SigmaPlot simultaneously without problems. That java script chat seriously gave me some issues. If it works with the forum hopefully it proves to alleviate some of the conversational posting that clutters up threads. Thats really the benefit I see.

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Nope it's an XP machine that is only about a year and a half old and has never had a problem before and can run ArcGIS, SAS ans SigmaPlot simultaneously without problems. That java script chat seriously gave me some issues. If it works with the forum hopefully it proves to alleviate some of the conversational posting that clutters up threads. Thats really the benefit I see.

Thats what I feel as well.
Since there is not an OFF TOPIC place on the forum, which is good thing, this would be the place to just talk about whatever until a chat night gets scheduled.

#13 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

If it works with the forum hopefully it proves to alleviate some of the conversational posting that clutters up threads. Thats really the benefit I see.

"Conversational posting" is bad?

Would you prefer soapboxing & monologues?

#14 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

No I'd prefer replies relavent to the topic subject and previous reponses, not what are personal communications and inside jokes between a few that dominate a thread after 15 replies. The conversational positing in my opinion was what the major problem was with the email list. After a question was answered or a topic completed emails would continue to be sent that were conversations between two people which could have been avioded by copying in the email address of the person instead of just hitting reply. It is increasing in frequency here along with alot of posting for posting sake.

#15 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

I am running Vista with FF and could not use the chat room posted at the top of this thread.

#16 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

I am running Vista

Well there's your problem! :P

#17 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

It is increasing in frequency here along with alot of posting for posting sake.

How do you judge the difference between posting for posting sake and what you would consider a worthwhile post?

#18 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

How do you judge the difference between posting for posting sake and what you would consider a worthwhile post?

I would answer that but I expect my actual answer would be quietly and anonymously deleted before you could read it. As will this non-answer. :glare:

#19 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

I would answer that but I expect my actual answer would be quietly and anonymously deleted before you could read it. As will this non-answer. :glare:

Maybe you should try anyway.
I'm real interested to know.
I know I've been pretty prolific with my posts lately. I'd hate to think I wasn't measuring up to an unwritten "post value" scale.
Maybe I should lay off the keyboard until I have something profound to say.
Might take awhile. :sad2:

#20 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Well there's your problem! :P

Really? Is the program not Vista compatible or are you giving me crap for running this bloated, annoying slow, inane operating system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users