Help with parasite ID

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Can you tell me what this is at the base of the dorsal fin? This fantail is just over 1 inch long. What would be the best way to treat?

#2 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

Can you tell me what this is at the base of the dorsal fin? This fantail is just over 1 inch long. What would be the best way to treat?

Can't seem to open it.

For true external parasites, though, I reach for Hydrogen Peroxide. 1 Tbspn per 20 gallons. Remove the carbon from your filter and turn the flow down. Dose every 24 hours.

#3 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

Can't seem to open it.

For true external parasites, though, I reach for Hydrogen Peroxide. 1 Tbspn per 20 gallons. Remove the carbon from your filter and turn the flow down. Dose every 24 hours.

I just tried it here at work. I got a warning message saying something along the line of the file extension did not match the file format and do I want to try and play it anyway. I clicked yes and it opened in Windows Media Player and RealPlayer, but not in QuickTime Viewer.

I did some reading on H2O2. Very interesting. Here are some of the better links I came across that detail concentrations to use, treatment times, mortality rates, and persistence of H2O2. I think I'll give it a try.

http://books.google....W10Mg#PPA247,M1

http://fish.bakerweb.biz/peroxide.html

http://www.umesc.usg...ski_01_2000.txt

http://www.haworthpr...A...G6&ID=40480

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

I just tried it here at work. I got a warning message saying something along the line of the file extension did not match the file format and do I want to try and play it anyway. I clicked yes and it opened in Windows Media Player and RealPlayer, but not in QuickTime Viewer.

It's not working here, or at work.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

I can open it. Looks odd, kind of like white grub. I have never seen white grub in darters.

#6 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

It's not working here, or at work.

I removed the video attachment and uploaded the video to Google Video. The quality is greatly reduced but the parasite is still visible.
Here is a link to the video.

Here is a frame from the video.
Attached File  Fantail_darater_parasite_0001.jpg   39.14KB   0 downloads

#7 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

Almost looks like you could pluck it right off.

#8 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

Almost looks like you could pluck it right off.

I agree, but the fish is small and the parasite is 1 mm at most so I'm worried I'd do more harm than good. I'm leaning toward a combination of a high concentration salt dip followed by an H2O2 dip for all of my fish. But I need to do a little more studying to come up with concentrations and durations.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

Encysted yellow grub. Scrape membrane (of darter) covering parasite. Should pop out as membrance appears very thin. A bright yellow, leach-like critter with faint segmentation will then fall away. External acting medications will have no effect. Treat fish antibiotic dip toprevent seconadary infection associated with removal wound.

#10 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:39 AM

Encysted yellow grub. Scrape membrane (of darter) covering parasite. Should pop out as membrance appears very thin. A bright yellow, leach-like critter with faint segmentation will then fall away. External acting medications will have no effect. Treat fish antibiotic dip toprevent seconadary infection associated with removal wound.

You called it! I finally got up the nerve to remove this thing and it did indeed turn out to be a small worm or grub. It was so small I couldn't really tell which. It was no more than 3mm long. It was definitely encysted and difficult to remove, but once I got through the cyst it popped right out. The fish is doing well one day later, I'll keep an eye out for secondary infection.
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users