Maxi-Jet Impellor Modifcation

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

Howdy folks,

Jim Graham was nice enough to give me an Algae Free's Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet upgrade kit to try out at home. I am impressed. I've cut my wattage from a Rio 2100 (40watts) to a Maxi-Jet 1200 (20 watts). And I don't loose any head on this thing, which was a known compromise with a spray bar.

I thought it would be obnoxious, as I had the Rio mounted along the outside wall, and it was kinda just part of the scene. But I don't find it too instrusive. Minus the heat head per output... I love it. It even moved gravel and rocks around into bars.

Below are some pictures and video to wet your whistle. Note I just did a massive plant harvest, so it'll eat up some of the energy as they regrow. But I don't think it'll make all that much of a difference. I know the studfish can't wait for the forest to come back. He's waaaaay mad at me :)

Attached File  fulltank.jpg   54.77KB   4 downloads

Attached File  powerhead.jpg   64.41KB   4 downloads

I shot some video too.

http://www.farmertod...d/Powerhead.wmv (5.3 mb)

You can find these at a variety of online stores for $20 and shipping. Just Google "sure flow 1600 maxi-jet upgrade kit".

I also shot some video in the 100 gallon, with my newest aquisition. It was a surprise Long Hair Phil bought me for Christmas. Here's a picture, but you'll want to see him in action ;)

http://www.farmertod...ad/Surprise.wmv (7.4 mb)

Attached File  trex.jpg   50.6KB   1 downloads

Todd

#2 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

Todd, very cool tank, and I've been looking at one of those(they have them at my LFS for about that price).
BTW...can I ask what shiners the bright red finned-nosed one's are? Those are amazing fish!

#3 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

I'm coveting that powerhead.

And your fish.

But you can keep the dinosaur. :tongue:

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

But you can keep the dinosaur. :tongue:

I was thinking the same thing!

#5 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

Jim Graham was nice enough to give me an Algae Free's Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet upgrade kit to try out at home. I am impressed. I've cut my wattage from a Rio 2100 (40watts) to a Maxi-Jet 1200 (20 watts). And I don't loose any head on this thing, which was a known compromise with a spray bar.

My understanding is that the power draw is even lower without the factory impeller. This is hearsay culled from another message board, but here are some numbers:

400 - 11w
600 - 11w
900 - 11w
1200 - 17w

So I wonder, would this translate into less heat in the tank? I'm considering one of these kits for a MJ400 in a 29 gallon. The tank looks great, by the way.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Todd, very cool tank, and I've been looking at one of those(they have them at my LFS for about that price).
BTW...can I ask what shiners the bright red finned-nosed one's are? Those are amazing fish!

striped and warpaints I believe

#7 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Jim gave me a conversation kit too.

I tried the kit on an Aquaclear Powerhead 201 and then on a 301. I used a piece of thin sink drain to make an extension for the propeller cage. The magnet rotor had a good fit in the exchange. The shaft also transferred. I can get the the propeller to run backwards. The propeller ran forwards in the air, and when sucking some air, but stops once the pump is fully underwater. I think the Aquaclear Powerheads do not have enough power for even the small propeller. I don't own any bigger powerheads.

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll hang on to the dinosaur for everyone :)

This is where I need Fritz, Dustin, Gerald or somebody to make a clarification...

These fish came from the South Yadkin watershed near Statesville North Carolina, which is part of the Pee Dee watershed.

I had assume these are redlip shiners, Notropis chiliticus, based on the <ahem> obvious characteristics. However, that doesn't match up with the distribution, once I reviewed it.

We caught some fish in the Catawba River watershed that I was told by a variety of people were redlip shiner, but I swear looked a whole lot like yellowfin shiner, Notropis lutipinnis.

But then we were also in the Broad Watershed, which could have been one of the lutipinnis complex. Ugh. This is what I get for camping in 90 degree heat ;) I just don't have a good recollection of where and what things were.

So I'm curious to find out what this fish is, as I don't think it was listed in Fritz' book. At least there's no color plate.

In any case, you can't loose with any of these fish west of I-77.

And if anyone can straighten me out, I'd be more than appreciative! :)

I've been meaning to get a photo of that fish and post it. Just hadn't gotten to it. They are immaculate. I love how they have the "dirty" flecks on them.

Todd

#9 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Except Savannah basin N. lutipinnis, which I believe are state listed SC.

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Except Savannah basin N. lutipinnis, which I believe are state listed SC.

You caught me :)

Are any of those NOT trout streams? I guess I just blank that whole section out of my little head. Would be a great place to film though. Fritz took us somewhere up there during the SC Convention. Man, it was goregous.

Todd

#11 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

You caught me :)

Are any of those NOT trout streams? I guess I just blank that whole section out of my little head. Would be a great place to film though. Fritz took us somewhere up there during the SC Convention. Man, it was goregous.

Todd

I think Yadkin County is in the clear, but something like 1/4 of the state is trout streams. Tight regulations on introduced trout and boar in western NC get my dander up, but in the case of trout streams they probably have indirect conservation benefits.

You're right though, it's gorges gorgeous out there.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

I think Yadkin County is in the clear, but something like 1/4 of the state is trout streams.

Yeah, I just meant in the Savannah drainage. I'd like to get up into the Tuckasegee too.

It seems it's just the upper Catawba where it's cold enough of any of the other streams.

#13 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, I just meant in the Savannah drainage. I'd like to get up into the Tuckasegee too.

It seems it's just the upper Catawba where it's cold enough of any of the other streams.

So do you keep this tank at room temperature? I think prop mods are probably a good way to cut down on the number of watts used in achieving high flow, but the improvement may be negligible.

#14 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

Beautiful tank Todd. I just saw an ad in aquarium fish for that jet. I was curious if it really pulled that much water and it looks like it sure does, awesome setup.
I love the way your red bellied daces look. Those are quite different looking than mine.

#15 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll hang on to the dinosaur for everyone :)
This is where I need Fritz, Dustin, Gerald or somebody to make a clarification...

These fish came from the South Yadkin watershed near Statesville North Carolina, which is part of the Pee Dee watershed.

I had assume these are redlip shiners, Notropis chiliticus, based on the <ahem> obvious characteristics. However, that doesn't match up with the distribution, once I reviewed it.

We caught some fish in the Catawba River watershed that I was told by a variety of people were redlip shiner, but I swear looked a whole lot like yellowfin shiner, Notropis lutipinnis.

But then we were also in the Broad Watershed, which could have been one of the lutipinnis complex. Ugh. This is what I get for camping in 90 degree heat ;) I just don't have a good recollection of where and what things were.

So I'm curious to find out what this fish is, as I don't think it was listed in Fritz' book. At least there's no color plate.

And if anyone can straighten me out, I'd be more than appreciative! :)

I've been meaning to get a photo of that fish and post it. Just hadn't gotten to it. They are immaculate. I love how they have the "dirty" flecks on them.

Todd

yellowfins from the catawba are greenheads the two are closely related I happen to have both and believe it or not mine never get greenheads :D

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

So do you keep this tank at room temperature?

I keep it at 76 in the summer (there's an AC in the room), chill it down into the 50's during winter, unless I'm going to do a water change, and then I'll get it back up into the 60's. It really cuts down on the feeding bill, and the fish respond more as they would in nature, given that the room is illuminated with sunlight at least on a cycle of sorts. However, the primary lights are still a 2:00 pm - 12:00 midnight occurrence.

Thanks Lance :) It does what it says it'll do. And it pulls as much water as it pushes. I think that's really the key. Well, and as Phil pointed out, having the right powerhead if you don't want to mess with it.

So I got my copy of FW Fishes of the Carolinas etc today... They are redlip shiners, Notropis chiliticus.

The fish we got over south of Hickory were yellowfin shiner, Notropis lutipinnis.

The problem may have come up as some of the people who went to the DAN RIVER the day before, saw a different version of chiliticus. One that looks a suspiciously lot like lutipinnis.

From Natureserve:

Attached File  GetImage.jpg   27.5KB   0 downloads

© Noel Burkhead & Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries (Fishes of Virginia)
Photographer: Noel Burkhead
Image ID#: 127
Date: 20 June 1984
Life Stage: adult

That ain't the colors of the fish you see in the Pee Dee (the fish in my tank), and boy, it looks an awful lot like a yellowfin shiner. I think this was the confusion.

So there. Now that's solved. I might be crazy, but I'm not insane. :)

Todd

#17 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Todd,

What size tank is that and where do you get the Impellor Modifications? That is a pretty cool little current-creating device.

Andy

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hey Andy,

The tank is a 75 gallon.

Just Google "sure flow 1600 maxi-jet upgrade kit". There's a bunch of places selling them (I like Premium Aquatics - http://www.premiumaq...ry_Code=Maxijet when I can't get something locally), you may even be able to get them locally. I'm going to show this to my LFS to carry. Salty Critter in Vermillion has them. I wouldn't be surprised if Aquarium Adventure does too. They're like all the rage in reef aquaria.

Todd

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

I was just in Aquarium Adventure over the holidays...has that place taken a dive in quality? I had only "heard" about this modification kit but it's great to finally see it in action. I'm going to investigate into purchasing one when I get around to setting up a stream tank. It sucked having three powerheads in a 55 gallon to get decent flow.

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

I have two of these mods. I first learned of them from Todd.
You will get the best flow for the lowest wattage from these. They are amazing!

Problem: the little stop that keep the prop from spinning backwards will only work most of the time. It can be running forwards and pushing great current, then you have a power failure. Only to find that it has restarted in the reverse direction, and sucked in your darters.

I no longer run them. They would be fine with larger fish, but if they reverse directions with smaller fish, they are so powerful that you are left with chowder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users