Bluegill Growth Rate

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEAE21_*

Guest_JEAE21_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hi; I've been keeping this baby bluegill for around 5months now but his growth rate is extremely slow.
I think he's only grown an inch since the day I netted him.
Currently he's around 2.5~3"

He hasn't gotten much coloration too. He was transparent when I first had him, you can see through his body. Now you can't and he is getting some bars down his body and a tiny bit of blue on his gill, but other than that he's a dark colored fish.
Is this normal? When do they start getting good coloration?

Also he's in a tropical temperature so could that be a possible reason he's not growing fast?
Would that change, once I throw him in the coldwater pond with koi?

#2 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hi; I've been keeping this baby bluegill for around 5months now but his growth rate is extremely slow.

He hasn't gotten much coloration too. He was transparent when I first had him, you can see through his body. Now you can't and he is getting some bars down his body and a tiny bit of blue on his gill, but other than that he's a dark colored fish.

Also he's in a tropical temperature so could that be a possible reason he's not growing fast?

Hi Jae
#1-Put where you are from in your profile.

#2- Sounhds like normal growth to me. Bluegills are known for being drab. find the higher quality food the better the coloration.

#3- It will do fine outside but don't shock the fish by just throwing it in there.

#3 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

There are smaller species of sunfish, are you positive on the bluegill ID?

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Growth does seem a bit slow. There could be and unseen reason for that. Diet, water quality, stress etc. Tropical temps if anything would increase the growth rate so it isen't that. Though I do feel the need to ask what the temp actually is. As for color, give it time. Juvis aren't as flashy and bluegills as a species aren't the most colorful either. To enhance colors a rich and vaired diet will help. So will dim lighting and darker decor, background, gravel etc.

#5 Guest_jmk818_*

Guest_jmk818_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:16 AM

I just bought 4 young bluegill about 1.5 in each, I will do some of my own studies. They will be living alone in a 10 gal tank, have a 29 gal tank i may use when they get older.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

I just bought 4 young bluegill about 1.5 in each, I will do some of my own studies. They will be living alone in a 10 gal tank, have a 29 gal tank i may use when they get older.

From where are your bluegill? Does it have reddish or greenish vertical fins? Does it have an off-white trim on tail fin?

#7 Guest_jmk818_*

Guest_jmk818_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:32 AM

They will be in my hands in a couple days, will let you know more when i get them. Bought from http://livingaquatic.com/ They have sunfish, bluegill, topminnows, and channel cats.

#8 Guest_NativesRule_*

Guest_NativesRule_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

Are Bluegills compatible with other Sunfishes? Do they have aggression with other tank mates?

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Are Bluegills compatible with other Sunfishes? Do they have aggression with other tank mates?

Yes, they direct aggression towards tank mates. The more similar the target (other fish) the more intense the agression. They are not as agressive as some of the smaller more colorful sunfishes (dollar, longear, pumpkinseed and green). In my settings bluegill are subordinate to similar sized individuals of other species within the same genus but one must consider bluegill capable of reaching larger size than all others except redear sunfish.

#10 Guest_NativesRule_*

Guest_NativesRule_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Yes, they direct aggression towards tank mates. The more similar the target (other fish) the more intense the agression. They are not as agressive as some of the smaller more colorful sunfishes (dollar, longear, pumpkinseed and green). In my settings bluegill are subordinate to similar sized individuals of other species within the same genus but one must consider bluegill capable of reaching larger size than all others except redear sunfish.

When I first got into the hobby, the first fish I got were 2 Bluegills and a Largemouth Bass. Sadly enough, one Bluegill got the pop-eye which im still not sure why it got it. The other bluegill a few days later got the pop-eye also with discoloration. So they both perished to quick for me to have made a good observation as to their behavorial characterists with other tank mates.

I am guessing it would probably be suitable next time to have the more colorful sunfishes that are not as aggressive as the Bluegill.

#11 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

When I first got into the hobby, the first fish I got were 2 Bluegills and a Largemouth Bass. Sadly enough, one Bluegill got the pop-eye which im still not sure why it got it. The other bluegill a few days later got the pop-eye also with discoloration. So they both perished to quick for me to have made a good observation as to their behavorial characterists with other tank mates.

I am guessing it would probably be suitable next time to have the more colorful sunfishes that are not as aggressive as the Bluegill.

I state the bluegills are generally less aggressive than their more brightly colored relatives, not the other way around.

#12 Guest_NativesRule_*

Guest_NativesRule_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

I state the bluegills are generally less aggressive than their more brightly colored relatives, not the other way around.

Oh I see! Sorry I misunderstood.

#13 Guest_NativesRule_*

Guest_NativesRule_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

I am actually compelled to get some Bluegills now. Its to bad that city regulation here in New York state that its only "catch and release fishing only" I could get them from farms in Upstate, but the only problem is that they charge like 60 dollars for overnight delivery. Otherwise If I could get cheaper shipping I'd buy them in a heart beat.

#14 Guest_wickdnytemare_*

Guest_wickdnytemare_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

Ok so I've had a bluegill for almost 2 years it lives in a 20 gallon tank .. I think its bull for those of you saying that bluegills arent aggressive because they ARE.. he has killed every tankmate I have put in there I got him as a baby and now he is little more than 4 inches long.. he attacks and kills anything from fiddler crabs cichlids other bluegills.. tetras angel fish .. it doesnt matter the size of the other fish he will attack and pick on them until they are dead .. he is a one fish per tank kinda fish I dont recommend putting a bluegill with any other type of fish .. they are attractive and entertaining as all hell to watch but they are mean fish

#15 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:08 AM

There's always individual variation, in bluegills as well as people. In general bluegills as a schooling species are less aggressive than, say, pumpkinseeds. But that's an average and averages have ranges around them. Put your bluegill in with a larger yellow perch and I doubt he'd be in charge.

#16 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

Wicknytemare,

Even "tough" individuals like you describe can be managed. Confine (using a partition / tank divider) bully to one end of the tank and stock a few individuals of similar size into the other part of the tank. Latter the individual acclimate for a couple days, then release bully. They will fight to establish hieracrhy but enough indivuduals should be present to decrease likelihood of a single individual being attacked to death.

#17 Guest_wickdnytemare_*

Guest_wickdnytemare_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:21 AM

Well what I have actually done is put him in a tank all by himself and added a dozen feeder fish for decoration, I figure if he kills those no harm done they are cheap lol .. We have actually tried a divider with him and it was ok for the first day after removing it but then he started attacking again ..I love him to death he is extremely awesome and does little tricks for food too, when I stick my finger in the tank he comes up and allows me to pet him. But I just cant add anymore fish in with him knowing what hes like .. its like sentencing the fish to death =(

#18 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:40 AM

Well what I have actually done is put him in a tank all by himself and added a dozen feeder fish for decoration, I figure if he kills those no harm done they are cheap lol .. We have actually tried a divider with him and it was ok for the first day after removing it but then he started attacking again ..I love him to death he is extremely awesome and does little tricks for food too, when I stick my finger in the tank he comes up and allows me to pet him. But I just cant add anymore fish in with him knowing what hes like .. its like sentencing the fish to death =(

I work with large numbers of bluegill held singly, as small groups usually as pairs (males) and larger groups sometimes approaching several hundred. Smaller groups are more problematic. Despite strife typical within smaller groups, it can be done with regularity. Your bluegill maybe a male in spawning mode. Could you upload a photograph?

#19 Guest_wickdnytemare_*

Guest_wickdnytemare_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:43 AM

Ok so I'm not trying to be mean or anything like that, if it seems that I am sorry I dont mean to... but are you honestly trying to tell me that my bluegill has been in spawning mode for the last two years straight? Even as a minnow he was attacking his tank mates to the point he took out the entire tank in less than six months .. hes just a mean fish! Although he is the sweetest fish to me .. he does tricks for his food, lets me pet him and whenever he sees me walk in the room hes got his face smooshed against the glass just waiting for my attention .. I just dont believe he belongs with others.. except cheap feeder fish and those he hasnt even touched .. however if I can get a good pic of him where he will sit still I will upload it for it!

#20 Guest_wickdnytemare_*

Guest_wickdnytemare_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:03 AM

LOL ok so he sat still for some pictures .. hes beautiful isnt he?Attached File  p_00010.jpg   125.09KB   1 downloadsAttached File  p_00017.jpg   152.96KB   1 downloadsAttached File  p_00014.jpg   168.62KB   1 downloadsAttached File  p_00012.jpg   158.49KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users