warmouth

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

hi my name is mike. im thinking about stating a fish tank with warmouth in it.i would like to here what any one has to say about it.what would i need to do this?i have a 12gallon tank right now?please tell me what u guy know. thank u very much.
:mrgreen:

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

hi my name is mike. im thinking about stating a fish tank with warmouth in it.i would like to here what any one has to say about it.what would i need to do this?i have a 12gallon tank right now?please tell me what u guy know. thank u very much.
:mrgreen:

I'd say you need a bigger tank. A full-grown warmouth can be 6" long or more; 12 gallons is small for a fish that size. I've never kept this species, so I'll let the voices of experience fill in the rest.

You could easily keep several darters, minnows, killifish, pygmy sunfish, or other small native fish in that 12 gallon, though.

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

A full grown warmouth can reach a foot long so you need 30 gal to house a single warmouth.

However since you have only 12 gal tank, what about a pair of mudminnow? They look like mini bowfin/pickerel hybrid with lots of personalities.

What about a group of small killifish species: Pygmy, bluefin, rainwater and least (not true killifish) killies? They are smaller and peaceful. They do well in planted tanks like pygmy sunnies. Diamond killies are another smaller killifish that required brackish water but can do well in 12 gal too.

Some species of darters can kept in 12 gal, however some of them might need current and some requirements. Swamp or Johnny darters are better since they are hardy and easy to take care of.

Scuplins are small predatory fish that might require currents and chiller. Also need live foods.

Maybe a pair of pirateperch? Since they does looks like a warmouth mix.

Swampfish, gambusia, few smaller minnow species, few North America livebearers (expect mollies and pike livebearer), few Fundulus species and madtom species can do well in ten gallon tanks.

You pick these species that can go into your 12gal. But where you come from?

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I have a warmouth that is about 7-8"

You need a bigger tank.

40 gallons or more.

Juvenile warmouth can be kept in your 12 gallon but not adults.

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

What about black banded sunfish?

#6 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

thanks for the info. if i get a 30 gallon tank how many small warmouth can i get and what do i need. thanks agian

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

You might as well get a nice 55 gallon setup

#8 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

well i cant get a 55 gallon tank 30 is as high as can go.what can i do with that and what do i need?

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

I would say 55 gallon is the minimum for an adult warmouth

I would look for smaller species of sunfish to keep

#10 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well I think you will stick with smaller sunfish species if 30 gal are must.

Dollar sunfish
Orangespotted
Bantam
Bluespotted
BlackBanded
Banded
Possibly Flier.

They are smaller sunfish species that you can keep into 30gal but only two to four sunnies.

I don't know if you can kept a single warmouth in 30 gal but it will be only fish. I don't think that its okay to have a foot long warmouth in 30gal.

What's wrong with my suggestions of smaller species?

#11 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I have a big adult warmouth in a 75 gallon with a chain pike.

I do have a dollar sunfish in a 20 gallon (I found him at the local fish store)

Dollars are nice sunfish but aggressive

#12 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

what about regular sunfish in a 30 gallon tank.

#13 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:13 AM

what about regular sunfish in a 30 gallon tank.

Define "regular sunfish"?

You're getting some good advice here. The bigger species that you're asking about will suffer, languish, and likely die in the small tank that you're proposing. There are smaller sunfish species that will not only survive, but thrive in a 30 gallon tank.

#14 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

I've read that northern longear sunfish only get around 5" or so.
With a thirty gallon, you could easily keep a couple smaller sunfish along with some of Butch's suggestions.
Maybe like a orangespotted sunfish and a mudminnow, with some other sunfish.
You could have a really neat tank, and you wouldn't even need a warmouth.

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

Take a look at some pictures of the various Lepomis and Enneacanthus species of sunfish (my pictures in the gallery http://gallery.nanfa.../Centrarchidae/). Stick with something that is typically less than 5" as adults and you can probably keep a nice group of 5 or 6 in a 30 gallon tank. Some of the species suggested above were good ones, my list of species that would fit in this situation would be...

Orangespotted Sunfish
Bantam Sunfish
Banded Sunfish
Blackbanded Sunfish
Bluespotted Sunfish

You could also probably keep 1 of a larger species in a 30 gallon tank. Spcies that would be good in this case would be prety much all the Lepomis species but I think I would still stay away from the largest 3, Warmouth Bluegill, and Redear. Once you have a better idea of what species you want and if you want 1 larger fish or a group of smaller ones, post back and we can probably help you better on the specific set up of the tank.

My suggestion (since you seem to like warmouth) would be Bantam sunfish. They are much smaller than Warmouth but behave similarly to them in a tank and are not real aggressive toward one another.

#16 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

what i ment about reular sun fish is where i come from is blue gill and in the east is pan fish. how do u guy think they would do.

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

If you are new to native fish, then you probably are not familiar with the fact that there are 12 species of Lepomis sunfish, Bluegill are only one of these. What often happens is the typical fisherman calls them all bluegill, or bream, or panfish, or sunfish interchangeably. For us to be able to offer you much help you need to be more specific than to just say regular sunfish or Panfish. If you look at what I said in my previous post, I would not recomend Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) for a 30 gallon tank. You may be able to keep one of them but it would be wise to go with a smaller sunfish species (or panfish if you prefer). Bluegill are one of the largest species of the 12 Lepomis sunfish and would be better suited to a 55 gallon tank or larger. They also are probably the least colorful of all the Lepomis sunfishes.

#18 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

FYI I have several warmouths and they grew from about 1" when I caught them to 6" now. I have had them right at 1 year. And they are still growing.

#19 Guest_bass_*

Guest_bass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

ok so if i go with a blackbanded sunfish in a 30 gallon tank where can i get them and what do i need.thanks for the help.

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

Blackbanded sunfish like heavily planted aquariums, so you will need a lot of live plants. They can be fed frozen blood worms as a staple and live foods like live blackworms as a suplement to their regular diet. As far as where to get them, I sell them when I have extra young (Zimmerman's fish in the vendors section) that I have raised but I have none at this time, and I know that KSI aquatics also has them from time to time for sale. You could also try asking on the trading dock or lastly collect your own if you happen to live on the east coast or take a trip to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users