Native fish that can thrive between 55 degrees and 85

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hello
Setting up a second pond next to the house . Its another plastic prefabricated 120 gallon "pond ". The temps range from 55 to 85 . It will be planted .
I will have a "water fountain" with UV thus some water movement . I was looking for native (not mollies as first pond loaded with them) that would thrive and eat flake food and dont dig otherwise plants become a mess .

Any ideas ?

so far have flagfish
mosquito fish though not sure if either could survive 55 temp range

thank you

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

I would think any fish that is found in Florida could live in your pond...in Florida. :tongue:
That leaves you with a mighty wide selection.
Really, I'd be more concerned with your high end temps. If your pond gets much direct Florida summer sun, I suspect it could push well past 85F.

BTW, what type of mollies do you have in your other pond?
Sailfins?
What color?

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

Bluefin killifish?

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

You needn't worry about the mosquitofish- I found several yesterday swimming under ice. 55* shouldn't even give them pause.

#5 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

I would think any fish that is found in Florida could live in your pond...in Florida. :tongue:
That leaves you with a mighty wide selection.
Really, I'd be more concerned with your high end temps. If your pond gets much direct Florida summer sun, I suspect it could push well past 85F.

BTW, what type of mollies do you have in your other pond?
Sailfins?
What color?

I have the regular cheap red mollies and black mollies- yellow/black swordtails and red/yellow platies . However fishing in Doral lakes Miami (never caught a thing) I have seen green mollies and other asorted colors mostly green which is neat.
Not a single bite in 5 hours but feeding the mollies bread crumbs was fun lol

#6 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

You needn't worry about the mosquitofish- I found several yesterday swimming under ice. 55* shouldn't even give them pause.

Thanks

#7 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Bluefin killifish?

not a bad idea going to look them up thought 85 might be to hot but worth a read to see. Pond is in shade and buried thus 85 should be limit even in mid summer but rare cold days could bring it to 55 .
Will look them up thanks

#8 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

het formosa?
Use lot's of floating plants to help shade your pond and protect it's inhabitants from the sun.

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Any native livebearers such as least killies, gambusia and some species of mollies. What about swamp darters and fundulus species? They can take flakes and do well in ponds. They will even reproduce in it.

#10 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

Swamp darrters I will never see might be bit to warm for them. Probably will go with Gamb, and or some type of killie.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users