Eggs as food

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

I caught a couple walleyes through the ice yesterday and 2 of them where gravid females. I took some of the eggs and soaked them in a cup of water for awhile(I remember someone saying that eggs swell in the water or the fishes stomach). They didn't swell at all. Anyway I held a clump of the eggs in front of the powerhead and blew them through out the whole tank. My natives where chowing them down. It was like crack to them. I also froze a bunch of the eggs to see if they would hold up. I defrosted a clump tonight and feed them again the eggs held up pretty good but yellowed a bit.

The fish loved them though. Has anyone had success or failure with this?

Herschel

#2 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Summer of 2006, my Bluenose Shiners loved eating sunfish roe.

No verified spawning. I think I needed to watch the tank more closely for when the females became skinnier.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

I've done the same thing with perch eggs.
On years when we have late ice, the perch are schooled up in prespawn or even spawning and fishing can be insane if you get over a big school. The females come up dribbling eggs all over and the males, well they dribble too, in their own way.
Besides the sweet fillets, a few ripe eggs sacks will be saved and my fish enjoy the treat as much as my family enjoys the fish 'n chips.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

I too like this idea. I think I'm going to try and catch a gravid carp and see if I can harvest enough eggs to feed my fish for a good long while. Anyone have any tips?

#5 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

I too like this idea. I think I'm going to try and catch a gravid carp and see if I can harvest enough eggs to feed my fish for a good long while. Anyone have any tips?

I think the carp eggs are the ones that expanded in the fishes bellies causing a untimely death. I would soak them in water for awhile to make sure.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

I've found that carp don't tend to be terribly interested in food when they get close to spawning in the spring, otherwise corn always worked for me. I would try getting them by bow when they are up a creek or in shallows to spawn. Or a quarterstick.

Herschel, where did you find the ice thick enough? was thinking about going out this weekend to start dulling my new auger.

#7 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

I've found that carp don't tend to be terribly interested in food when they get close to spawning in the spring, otherwise corn always worked for me. I would try getting them by bow when they are up a creek or in shallows to spawn. Or a quarterstick.

Herschel, where did you find the ice thick enough? was thinking about going out this weekend to start dulling my new auger.

I was on Onieda, but all of the little lakes in Maison Co. are safe. Check out www.iceshanty.com you have to be a member to get the good stuff but it's free and packed full of ice fishng info.
Herschel

#8 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

When crappie season hits I usually keep and freeze the eggs from the gravid females I catch...They make great food for captive fishes as well as darn good catfish bait.

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I was on Onieda, but all of the little lakes in Maison Co. are safe. Check out www.iceshanty.com you have to be a member to get the good stuff but it's free and packed full of ice fishng info.
Herschel

I just joined Ice Shanty myself. That's where I heard about the mudminnow in my ID post below.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users