Snail's egg question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

So there is always some egg clutches on the sides and corners of our tanks. You can see the tiny things forming along, then sunddenly there just gone. I know some of the fish will clear out a few clutches. I do have alot of snails but not as many comaperd to the eggs. I'm assuming more that they must not hatch or become food once they do. Now I'm wondering if it is possible to harvest as soon as you spot some and grow them out to a larger size in another setup. Has anyone have any knowledge on this? As always all opinions welcome.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

Most snail eggs are very difficult to remove from the substrate without destroying the mass, so you might try offering the snails something else to lay eggs on- a piece of PVC pipe might work. Then, when the object has a lot of eggs on it, place it in another tank, or even just in a bucket. Don't use filtration- that's probably where your snail larvae are going in your main tank. I'm sure it varies depending on the variety of snail you have, but I imagine just putting a handful of mulm or leaf pack from another tank or a pond would be adequate to support the little snails until they're big enough to put in another tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users