best fish for small community aquariums

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi I am new to this forum and I was wondering what the best natives are for my aquarium? I have a 26 gal. now but will be getting a bigger one soon probably around 50 gal. What would be the best natives for my aquarium? I really like sunfish and catfish but thats all I currently know about. Right now I have some green sunfish in my 26 gal. but I think that they will probably get too big and aggressive to keep for long. Just want to know what others think? Pictures of the fish would be great.
My personal photo is of my biggest green sunfish.

#2 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hi I am new to this forum and I was wondering what the best natives are for my aquarium? I have a 26 gal. now but will be getting a bigger one soon probably around 50 gal. What would be the best natives for my aquarium? I really like sunfish and catfish but thats all I currently know about. Right now I have some green sunfish in my 26 gal. but I think that they will probably get too big and aggressive to keep for long. Just want to know what others think? Pictures of the fish would be great.
My personal photo is of my biggest green sunfish.

Which way were you leaning? Stream tank? A biotype? killi's, shiners, minnows, darters.

My community tank (75 gallons) has two eastern mudminnows, 2 pumpkinseeds, 6 shiners (swallowtail and satinfin), a tessellated darter, 4 banded killifish, and two mummichogs. I had a some problems with one of the pumpkinseeds being aggressive, and one of the shiners, but I think I've solved it with a new tank arrangement. I might add a few more darters but other than that I'll probably keep it as is for awhile.

I've steered away from Green Sunfish because of all the horror stories I hear. Same with catfish.

#3 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

I am looking at a tank setup to be like a pond or lake. Not really trying for a stream.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

I would just move what you have in your 26 gallon into your larger up coming tank. They are going to outgrow the 26 shortly and really could use the room anyways. Some pieces of driftwood to create some habitat and shelters, some plants if you feel like it, and you've got yourself a nice simple pond set up.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

And then you'll have your 26 gallon freed up for some darters, shiners, and topminnows!

#6 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

I dont think that my wife will let me have more than one tank. So I will have to stick with one. I currently have my tank setup with with some live plants and a rock pile. Some plants that float on the surface and some on the bottom. I had some wood in the tank but it kept growing strange slime so I took it out. I also have some pond snails to clean the glass. I think it looks nice.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

A lot of minners will do OK in your tank. They don't all like swiftly flowing water. And they mostly don't get very big. Mostly.

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

Since you want pond/lake tank, there are few nice native species:
Pygmy killifish
Bluefin killifish
Rainwater killifish
Flagfish
Smaller fundulus species
Swamp darters
Gambusia
Least killifish
Pygmy sunnies
Tadpole madtom
Blackbanded sunfish
Banded sunfish
Bluespotted sunfish
Mudminnow
Swampfish
Sticklebacks

And too many species of smaller minnows to choose from.

#9 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the list. Will all those get along or will some pick on the others? Especially the sunfish.

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:46 PM

Pygmy killifish
Bluefin killifish
Rainwater killifish
Flagfish
Smaller fundulus species
Swamp darters
Gambusia
Least killifish
Pygmy sunnies
Tadpole madtom
Blackbanded sunfish
Banded sunfish
Bluespotted sunfish
Mudminnow

Swampfish
Sticklebacks

The fish in red are larger than the others; they might be all right with one another, but not with the little fishes in the the rest of the list. Gambusia can be aggressive too.

#11 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Pygmy killifish
Bluefin killifish
Rainwater killifish
Flagfish
Smaller fundulus species
Swamp darters
Gambusia
Least killifish
Pygmy sunnies
Tadpole madtom
Blackbanded sunfish
Banded sunfish
Bluespotted sunfish
Mudminnow

Swampfish
Sticklebacks

The fish in red are larger than the others; they might be all right with one another, but not with the little fishes in the the rest of the list. Gambusia can be aggressive too.

True.
So here's the choices of tank that some species can go with other:

A tank full of plants for pygmy killies and bluefins/rainwater killies. Least killifish and pygmy sunnies are another choice.

If you want flagfish, keep them with bluefin/rainwater killies. No pygmy sunnies, least killies or pygmy killies. Add few plants and caves. A trio of flagfish and few bluefins would be nice in 26gal.

Gambusia are a species tank only. But if you want colorful ones, go with eastern gambusia. Two female per a male gambusia. Use heavily plants.

Pygmy sunnies are another fish that a species tank are must. Again use lots of plants for them to hide into. Pygmy killies and least killies might work as their tankmates.

Swamp darter are excellent tankmate and are peaceful toward to other species expect the fry.

Stickleback are a fin nipper and need live foods. Probably will need species tank.

If you want sunnies, keep a pair or trio in heavily planted tank with few caves and possibly add a tadpole madtom. Same said for mudminnows and pirate perch.

I had no idea about swampfish but said that they are best keeping in species tank.

For smaller species of minnows, use 10 minnows to schooling together with few plants but leave room for swimming. Add two or three swamp darters to the tank.

A group of fundulus species with bunch of float plants and caves for smaller madtoms.

#12 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Great info thanks Butch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users