California Natives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

I live in the California foothills and I was wondering what natives in my area are interesting. I have a lot of freestone rivers and streams in my area plus lots of small ponds (mostly inhabited by copious small Green sunfish). I have seen some Sculpins lots of trout (Brown and Rainbow mostly) and some smaller fish that I don't know about. Also lots of Crayfish and some Mussels.
Does any one know about the laws pertaining to the collection of native fish in California.

Also just wondering if there are any members in my area (central California foothills).

If any one wants something from my area I might be able to collect some so long as it is legal to do so.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

It is illegal for you to take live fish away from the waters of Cali without a permit.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

As a native californian, I'll tell you that the sculpins are about the coolest fish you could catch, but everything fun is illegal in california, including native fish collecting. The smaller fish are likely either California Roach, Sacramento Squawfish, or Sacramento Suckers. Some other members may be more informative as to other possible species, most likely from the Gila genus. Since I now live on the other side of the country, I can't serve as a collecting partner, but hopefully my input helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users