What plant is this

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

Here is a plant I have. It has been floating in a drum in my yard with gold fish for about 2 months and still looks good. I collect it from my farm pond where it grows on the bottom in shallow water. Some times the leaves are partly reddish brown. Can any one tell me what it is.
[attachment=5488:Plant1.jpg]
[attachment=5489:Plant2.jpg]

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Here is a plant I have. It has been floating in a drum in my yard with gold fish for about 2 months and still looks good. I collect it from my farm pond where it grows on the bottom in shallow water. Some times the leaves are partly reddish brown. Can any one tell me what it is.

Anubia sp.

#3 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

Is this a nice plant to put in my aquarium and how common is it?

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Is this a nice plant to put in my aquarium and how common is it?

Pretty common. You can buy them at pet stores.

#5 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks

#6 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

Pictures don't work for me, but if you're collecting them in California then it's almost surely not Anubias, which is restricted to Africa. No surprise, the USDA database has no hits for the genus. Can you repost the pictures?

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Pictures don't work for me, but if you're collecting them in California then it's almost surely not Anubias, which is restricted to Africa. No surprise, the USDA database has no hits for the genus. Can you repost the pictures?

With Cali's climate, I wouldn't doubt it was introduced into the area. It's also a pretty popular aquarium plant, which is probably how it was introduced(if that's what it is).

#8 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

OK, if it the same plant shown in this post, then I would guess it's a Ludwigia sp., several of which can be found in CA.

With Cali's climate, I wouldn't doubt it was introduced into the area. It's also a pretty popular aquarium plant, which is probably how it was introduced(if that's what it is).

Best to follow Occam's razor when making identifications. Besides, it doesn't look like any Anubias I've ever seen. But you're right, there have been too many cases of aquarium owners introducing exotic plants.

Nativeplanter, you out there?

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

OK, if it the same plant shown in this post, then I would guess it's a Ludwigia sp., several of which can be found in CA.
Best to follow Occam's razor when making identifications. Besides, it doesn't look like any Anubias I've ever seen. But you're right, there have been too many cases of aquarium owners introducing exotic plants.

Nativeplanter, you out there?

I had some anubias that looked just like that. Either that or they were labeled wrong, which is probably the case since I bought them from PetSmart.

Ludwigia makes more sense. Glad you saw this. :D

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

My guess is also a Ludwigia sp., but I'm really not familiar with California plants!

I do know, however, that it is absolutely NOT an Anubias. In fact, it looks nothing like an Anubias at all. Anubias leaves grow from rhizomes. Technically they are alternate-leaved, although they can look like rosettes. Machineman's plant has opposite leaves.

Fishlvr, I would suggest that you not reply with such certainty when you aren't certain.

#11 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

This plant survives regular freeze cycles without a problem so I dont think that it could have come from Africa. I am going to plant sum in my tank and see how it does and looks. Thanks for all the help.

#12 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

This plant survives regular freeze cycles without a problem so I dont think that it could have come from Africa. I am going to plant sum in my tank and see how it does and looks. Thanks for all the help.

The foothills can mean a lot of places, where in CA are you, I lived in Sac for 4 years and played in the Sierra often.

#13 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

The foothills can mean a lot of places, where in CA are you, I lived in Sac for 4 years and played in the Sierra often.

I live about a 1/2 hour east of Jackson

#14 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

So far as I can tell it is legal for me to send this plant to others for aquariums. So is any one wants some I would be happy to send you some of shipping cost.

#15 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

Oops I mean send for the cost of shipping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users