U.S. postal service failure..

52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm not one to defend the USPS but I've had only one failed shipment (to a dubious recipient) in a great many shipments. Something is wrong here. Do you have any photos of how you're sending fish?

#22 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm not one to defend the USPS but I've had only one failed shipment (to a dubious recipient) in a great many shipments. Something is wrong here. Do you have any photos of how you're sending fish?

Uland, of those 4 shipments, 3 have been incoming, I did not send, I received(well..supposed to receive!).
The one shipment to date I did receive was very well packed, and the fish survived over a weeks travel time. The shipment I send out was re-shipped in the same packaging, and while the "next day" shipment arrived over a week late to Brian, the fish survived intact again. Brian put a photo up in this thread further up there. So...I don't feel it is a packaging error.
I do not know how Tom is shipping, but I would assume he's shipping in a good manner.
I have even taken the precaution of having the fish shipped to a business(my place of work) so that there is always someone to sign for them. From what I know from Tom, the first shipment was lost in Detroit. That is the same location the fish I shipped OUT were lost in, AND the same location that the dace I won in the December lottery were "temporarily misplaced).
You are right..something IS wrong..the USPS.
I am sorry if I come off a bit short tonight..but I am upset at the whole situation.

#23 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

Do you have any photos of how you're sending fish?

My fish are sent in foam lined boxes as seen here: http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2778

And each breathing bag is wrapped with newspaper and packed, then I fill extra space with newspaper.
Very similar to how you send fish Uland.

#24 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

Somethin ain't right!
I can't help thinking it's something in the local postal service office, maybe even the same indivdual or individuals.
In the same time frame I've recieved two and sent one with 100% success and all arriving on the day expected.
Not a big sample size, I know, but from reading back through the forum, it appears most people have very good success with only the occasional random delay.
It's clearly not a problem with the different people sending out the packages. Over all in the big picture, USPS has a decent record. It's hard not to suspect a specific office or even individual. Not malice probably but maybe gross negligence?
Is the a consumer relations branch of USPS?

#25 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

Paul,
I was just thinking - have you tried sending them certified with return receipt (in addition to priority)? I wonder if they would pay more attention to the package if they knew it was being tracked.

#26 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:58 AM

Paul,
I was just thinking - have you tried sending them certified with return receipt (in addition to priority)? I wonder if they would pay more attention to the package if they knew it was being tracked.

I sent these both next day with delivery conf. They seem to be getting lost near Detroit. At 38.95 per shipment. you'd think it wouldn't get lost.

#27 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

I should have been more clear. I'm sure you're doing a fine job of packing but I'm curious about how you're labeling. There might be some tag or label that triggers some reaction from Detroit? Do they reimburse the shipping charges when they fail so miserably?

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

I should have been more clear. I'm sure you're doing a fine job of packing but I'm curious about how you're labeling. There might be some tag or label that triggers some reaction from Detroit? Do they reimburse the shipping charges when they fail so miserably?

They are supposed to refund the charges if the package is underliverable due to it's contents and things like airline restrictions on animals, but not if it is just late. Seems the times they give are "on average" and that there is no guarantee.

Paul, you're not putting the words "live fish" on there or anything, are you?

#29 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

Yes, a refund has been given. I just put fragile, perishable on the box. Nightwing has had problems with other shipments besides mine, I just think detroit likes greenside darters. Others have received fish from me so I tend to think it's just Detroit.

Tom

#30 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

They are supposed to refund the charges if the package is underliverable due to it's contents and things like airline restrictions on animals, but not if it is just late. Seems the times they give are "on average" and that there is no guarantee.

Paul, you're not putting the words "live fish" on there or anything, are you?

The PO (at least mine does)gives a refund if Next Day delivery is not delivered.

I'm thinking of trying to send him a box packed with newspaper to see if it gets there. It may just be a Fish thing and detroit. Do you have problems with non fish packages nightwing?

#31 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Tom, I've not had any other major issues, to my knowledge. I did order a digital sound recorder off of ebay that took nearly a week on priority, so that is maybe one.
Also, I do need to point out again that this has happened on fish going both directions, and if this recent shipment was also lost in Detroit, then that is where the problem lies. On the ONE batch I send, I did mark "live fish" on it..but although it took a week, it DID arrive at Brians, and the fish themselves were fine. The other 3 shipments were incoming to me.
I hope to get the tracking number from Tom tomorrow if possible, so I can at least see if there is any hope in running them down.
The thing that bothers me is NOT that I don't have the fish...that's honestly the very least of my concerns. Mainly I feel terrible for the fish themselves, and for Tom, for knowing that 4 of his fish are likely dead(two for sure), and there is NO reason for this to have happened.
I did tell him last night that this was it...if they don't arrive, I do not want to try again, as I have no desire to kill any more fish.
I am going to order some sunnies from a commercial vendor...but we've already worked out a plan to use a commercial carrier to hopefully, avoid this kind of thing.
Apologies to those of you who have had your PM boxes filled(Tom in particular!), I hope you understand I was just concerned FOR the fish themselves more then anything.

#32 Guest_juscuz_*

Guest_juscuz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Some times I wonder about the USPS, I sent some paper work from Spring Lake,MI to Benton Harbor,MI(75 miles) and it took 2 weeks. It was in a Priority Envlope!!!!

Edited by juscuz, 13 March 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#33 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Well, no arrival today.
Once I have the tracking no. from Tom, I will be having a very in-depth conversation with whoever is highest up the pecking order in the USPS, that I can get on the phone.
Tom mentioned something else, I've had problems with 3 different individuals(not a good way to word it..I mean that I've had issues with the post office, but involving 3 different destinations). All, however, were routed through Detroit. I DO have the packages sent to my place of work, Gander Mountain..so I am wondering deep down if there is maybe and animal rights activist, or anti-gun person working that sees the destination, and loses or destroys the package due to that. Hate to think that may be it..but I'm at a complete loss as to other possibilities at this point. Everyone else seems to do ok..so I don't know what else it could be, other then pure bad luck(possible I suppose..but the odds are getting long).

#34 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I had two thoughts about this... Maybe you should try having one sent to your house, even if it's just water with no fish just to see what happens. The other may be a hassel but maybe you could intentionally route around Detroit. Send it to someone else first then have them resend it in a different direction, this would be time consuming and expensive but it may work if detroit really is the problem. I'm not sure if this second idea is possible, you may just live too close to Detroit to avoid it.

#35 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

I had two thoughts about this... Maybe you should try having one sent to your house, even if it's just water with no fish just to see what happens. The other may be a hassel but maybe you could intentionally route around Detroit. Send it to someone else first then have them resend it in a different direction, this would be time consuming and expensive but it may work if detroit really is the problem. I'm not sure if this second idea is possible, you may just live too close to Detroit to avoid it.

Brian, even if I send a letter from Kentwood, to Grand Haven(about 25 miles west of here)..they route it through Detroit. Detroit is over 140 miles away. Sad, but true.
When we hook up on that other thing...I plan on having them shipped commercial, and covering costs(as I got my money back for shipping the shiners, anyway!).
Oh..and of course, no arrival today.

Edited by Nightwing, 14 March 2008 - 05:46 PM.

#36 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

DHL baby! http://www.dhl-usa.com. You won't regret making the switch!

#37 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

DHL baby! http://www.dhl-usa.com. You won't regret making the switch!

I just ran some numbers, based on a size and weight and destination I just used FedEx for..
You ain't kidding! DHL was about the cost, for NEXT DAY, as FedEx was for 2nd day.
And for 2nd day, DHL was only a couple dollars more then USPS priority.
May have to give them a shot next!
Unfortunately..they are not as widespread and accessible as the other major players(Fedex and UPS).

Edited by Nightwing, 17 March 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#38 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

Well, I will add this.
FedEx did a GREAT Job, the fish arrived this morning at about 10:30, in perfect condition.
Since the box said "fragile", the guy even had it in the front seat with him, he said to make sure there was not chance of it getting crushed. He had another handfull of other boxes marked the same..and all were being treated with above normal care.
I'll still like to give DHL a try..but hard NOT to just go with these guys, after I saw that!

#39 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

..but hard NOT to just go with these guys, after I saw that!

Yeahbut, only problem is, if you call FedEx and ask them, they'll tell you that they don't ship live fish. How do you have any recourse if something goes wrong with the shipment and they ask you what was in the box? You say 'live fish'. They say, 'sorry, outta luck buddy!'.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#40 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

No doubt true..but on DHL's website, they say the same thing..NO live animals. I would expect this clause is included in all of the commercial shippers. Even with priority mail, you are not "supposed" to ship live animals, from what I was told!
Anyway..good point and if I am wrong about DHL and fish...then that certainly puts them back in no.1 position!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users