Duck Weed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

What's the minimum tank size for a mallard? Could you go with one of the smaller ducks if your tank is small? What fish would then eat the duck poo?

The rule is 1 gallon per inch of duck, so you'd probably need a 20 gal for a mallard; a teal or bufflehead might work in a 10 gal. For duck poo clean-up, I'd use round gobies. They'll breed in the tank, but you can just dump the young in the nearest waterway.

#22 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

I have heard that ducks will only grow to the size of the tank.

Yeah, but you'll have a rectangular duck....

#23 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

I haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but I hear 3% H2O2 will kill duckweed when dosed at 2.5mL per gallon of tank water. Some folks are have good luck with H2O2 as an algaecide. Other plants, inverts, and fish fry may also be affected.

Or an afro pick. That idea is awesome.

#24 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

I can tell you from first hand experience that it won't. Wish it did.

I haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but I hear 3% H2O2 will kill duckweed when dosed at 2.5mL per gallon of tank water. Some folks are have good luck with H2O2 as an algaecide. Other plants, inverts, and fish fry may also be affected.

Or an afro pick. That idea is awesome.

#25 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have heard that ducks will only grow to the size of the tank.

:laugh:

#26 Guest_jmk818_*

Guest_jmk818_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

I personally keep giant duckweed in my tank, when it covers the surface i just pull a couple scoops of it out, sometimes with a net, sometimes just by hand. Its a native, yet invasive, yet nonetheless native plant. In my native tank, it is one of the few native plants I have... Is Myriophyllum Pinnatum native? Anyhoo. If anyone wants some duckweed, I'll send you some.

#27 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

I have a mixture of frogbit, watersprite, and salvinia that have mostly outcompeted the duckweed and I have very little of it left. It coats the top of the tank quickly but is a lot easier to remove/control. I recently made the mistake of adding Azolla to the tank, and while more attractive from above, its growing habits and difficulty of harvest are much like that of duckweed. I don't know if any of that would help with your fry though.

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Myriophyllum pinnatum is native. However, it is easily confused with M. spicatum and M. aquaticum, which are both exotic.

I personally keep giant duckweed in my tank, when it covers the surface i just pull a couple scoops of it out, sometimes with a net, sometimes just by hand. Its a native, yet invasive, yet nonetheless native plant. In my native tank, it is one of the few native plants I have... Is Myriophyllum Pinnatum native? Anyhoo. If anyone wants some duckweed, I'll send you some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users