Mystery fundulid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

Yet another feeder shrimp tank stowaway. I don't know where the shrimp were from.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I apologize for the poor photo quality. The fish is about 3" long, with distinct red markings on the dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

I'd say that you have a seminole killifish, Fundulus seminolis. They can get surprisingly large. And this means that the shrimp are coming from Florida.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

I'd say that you have a seminole killifish, Fundulus seminolis. They can get surprisingly large. And this means that the shrimp are coming from Florida.

Thanks, Fundulus!

I couldn't find an image of this species online to compare with my fish after someone (probably you) had suggested it might be F. seminolis earlier.

So it's an adult, then? I had thought it might be from the red fin coloration, but I wasn't sure. He's living with my lesser sirens and eating freeze-dried tubifex and frozen bloodworms right now.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, it's a relatively young adult. The only pictures available online can be found by searching for seminole killifish rather than Fundulus seminolis.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

I agree looks like a seminole and a male at that.

#6 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Here's another photo of Fundulus seminolis, Seminole Killifish:

http://jonahsaquariu...nfseminolis.htm

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic