Viable Grass Carp released in Central Tx w/article

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

In today's Austin American Statesman, this arrticle was on the front page "Golf ball diver accused of stocking ponds with banned carp http://www.statesman...12golffish.html ." This happened to be in my neck of the woods, and pisses me off on so many levels. If you're not familiar with the San Marcos River, it's a spring fed river (~70* F year-round) in central Tx with endangered wild rice and darters, amongst other endangered spring associated animals in it. There are also other populations of fish on shaky ground due to impoundments, development, and such. However, there are healthy populaitons of koi, common carp, and Tilapia. The fact that this jerk was releasing these grass carp in golf course ponds scares me because there is a public golf course right at the headwaters of the river. Fortunately, I do a lot of sampling out there and haven't caught any grass carp yet. I hope he gets the max-this was a purely selfish act that could greatly affect the environment and the people that utilize the river.

#2 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

Not if, but WHEN the rains come and the ponds overflow so much that the screened pipe drops are clogged , the critters will scoot across 5" of water into the public drainage......

Any chance they be triploids?????

nm

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

They were using Koi before, which is OK I guess.

#4 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:00 AM

Nope, they're diploid. Triploids are the only legal grass carp in Texas, and can be obtained with proper permitting, papers, and whatnot. This guy was going over to Arkansas to get viable grass carp and letting them go in San Marcos; probably other places, too, but that's just my speculation.

The koi are a problem down here, but pale in comparison to what grass carp could do to the ecosystem in this highly vegetated river. Also, the endangered wild rice only grows in the first two miles (I think) of the San Marcos and Comal Rivers. It's critically endangered just because of its restricted habitat, and the fact that it is competing with invasive plants (Hydrilla, Cryptocoryne, Hygrophylla, etc) already. The grass carp would do a number on them if they were in this river.

They only mentioned one of the courses, and I'm curious to know what the other two confirmed spots are. The thing that gts me the most is just how selfish this all was. And just to make it easier to pluck out golfballs. Just one more reason golf courses suck (no offense, golfers, but they do).

#5 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

The fact that he did it so that he could find a bunch of golf balls makes it even sadder. ](*,)

#6 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

Stock 'em all, let God sort it out.

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Stock 'em all, let God sort it out.

According to Genesis 1:26 he gave us that job O:)

#8 Guest_mrgrackle_*

Guest_mrgrackle_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

A good (and idiotic) friend of mine told me the other day how he dumped a bunch of snails from his kids 10 gal. aquarium into the nearby creek. I wanted to strangle him. I yelled at him a bit and he just couldn't understand why it was such a bad idea... /sigh. I think he called me a hippy. I think I called him an idiot. I know I wanted to punch him.

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

A good (and idiotic) friend of mine told me the other day how he dumped a bunch of snails from his kids 10 gal. aquarium into the nearby creek. I wanted to strangle him. I yelled at him a bit and he just couldn't understand why it was such a bad idea... /sigh. I think he called me a hippy. I think I called him an idiot. I know I wanted to punch him.

I like you :) your down to earth.....

#10 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

LOL-Yes I know we can all get passionate about invasive species and such... I recently offended a woman at work when she told me she was going to release a bunch of Grass Carp into her pond (She did not mention anything about them being triploid or sterilized in any physical way...I can only guess they were viable) I tried to explain why it was such a bad idea...she didn't give a crap (or carp either)... I just came off looking like a loon lecturing on how bad invasives were...

I think that this guy should have to Rotenone the ponds he introduced the fish to AND be the one to clean up all the dead fish...

#11 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I think that this guy should have to Rotenone the ponds he introduced the fish to AND be the one to clean up all the dead fish...

I think we should rotenone the guy and let the fish clean him up, but that's just me... No I didn't just say that, it was my subconscious talking. You did come up with a good punishment, but I have more. He should also be forced to havest Plecostomous, Tilapia, and Carp out of the San Marcos River and compost them in his back yard (near the doors and windows). If he's in an apartment, his living room will have to do. He should also take part in the Hyacinth cleanups (that is a nasty job-even causes rashes). This man should be given a thorough education in invasive species.

#12 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

I think we should rotenone the guy and let the fish clean him up, but that's just me... No I didn't just say that, it was my subconscious talking. You did come up with a good punishment, but I have more. He should also be forced to havest Plecostomous, Tilapia, and Carp out of the San Marcos River and compost them in his back yard (near the doors and windows). If he's in an apartment, his living room will have to do. He should also take part in the Hyacinth cleanups (that is a nasty job-even causes rashes). This man should be given a thorough education in invasive species.

I hearby sentence you to 100 hours community service pulling kudzu on the side of the interstate this summer. Bring a hat!

#13 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

Fortunately, Kudzu is not a big problem down here, but we do have fire ants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users