Popped a seal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

and I'm not talking about a marine mammal! Built a wooden stand for two 55 gallons and a row of 10's. 55 on bottom and middle, 5 10gals short-ways along top...anyway.

set the first 55 up last night...the middle shelf must not have been exactly level...heard an unusually loud water noise coming out of the fish room, turned on the light and looked in and the tank was 1/2 drained. luckily there was an empty 15 gallon bin under it that caught a lot of it, but all in all ended up with 20 gallons on the floor.

http://aquamaniacs.n...cle.php?aid=107

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

Scott,

You might want to consider putting styrofoam sheeting under the tanks (like this stuff). You can get it at Lowes, HD, etc. It will help compensate for unevenness, as the tank will settle into place by compressing the foam a little (not really visibly noticable). It can also be painted to match your stand. I think it's a good idea for any large tank on a DIY stand since I don't have access to a professional wood shop!

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I already planned on picking up a sheet when I get the silicone today. Do you think 1" is thick enough? Will definatley want to get it for tHE 125!!

Not only do I not have a professional woodshop, I used left over pressure treated lumberthat was slightly warped AND the garage floor where I build things is multi-pitched ](*,) so I do my best...which apparently was not good enough. The Labatt's probably didn't help towards the end ...

btw - cute dog!

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Keep in mind when builidng a stand that it does not have to be level per se, but the tank must not rock at all. All four corners must make good contact with the stand. It can be shimmed up if necessary.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, I already planned on picking up a sheet when I get the silicone today. Do you think 1" is thick enough? Will definatley want to get it for tHE 125!!

Not only do I not have a professional woodshop, I used left over pressure treated lumberthat was slightly warped AND the garage floor where I build things is multi-pitched ](*,) so I do my best...which apparently was not good enough. The Labatt's probably didn't help towards the end ...

btw - cute dog!

Hey - I forgot to say I was sorry for your leak!
Anyway, one has to be doubly careful with pressure treated lumber, as most places sell it still wet. When it dries, most likely after you've built somthing, it shrinks and warps a bit.

I think 1" will definitely be adequate (usual disclaimer here - your milage may vary...)

Thanks about the dog. We have 2 of them. Spend a lot of time chasing fur around the house.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Keep in mind when builidng a stand that it does not have to be level per se, but the tank must not rock at all. All four corners must make good contact with the stand. It can be shimmed up if necessary.

Irate: I'm the arse-whole. It rocked a very little when empty and I said to my self, the stand will settle under the weight...

Nativeplanter: the lumber had been sitting and had already dried and warped a bit. Couldn't use it for the fence gate anymore so I used it for the stand. Again, i'm the arse-whole.

FWIW, the tank is old and could have used new seals anyway. My cousin had it when I lived in CA and he did a number on the side seals. And the vintage slate-bottomed, metal framed 20gal my in-laws dug out of the attic leaks so I had to get silicone anyhow.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

Don't feel too badly. I saw a guy crack a brand new 135 that way.

#8 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

Don't feel too badly. I saw a guy crack a brand new 135 that way.

Actually cracked the glass? If that happened I think I would actually cry...in front of other men too. I bought a used 125 (6-footer) and built a stand for that too. haven't filled it up yet, waiting for the ground to thaw so i can get some clayey soil from the yard. I think I may just reseal it, if these go well, while I'm at it. Those seals are a bit chewed up on the sides. That stand is pretty good and level BUT 30 gal of water on the basement floor is a much much happier thought than 125 gal let loose on the first floor hardwood!!!! I'll put foam under that for sure too. Looks do count up there though...does that stuff accept wood stain well? just kidding.

I have a 15 gal with a cracked side pane, any problems sticking a pieces of plexi-glass as a replacement if I can't find glass easily/cheap?

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

I have a 15 gal with a cracked side pane, any problems sticking a pieces of plexi-glass as a replacement if I can't find glass easily/cheap?

It's hard to get plexi to seal to glass, since silicone doesn't stick to it too well. If it fits tightly and you really slather the seams, though, it ought to be all right. Glass is usually cheaper than plexi, though, at least around here; you should be able to get a piece big enough for your 15 for a couple bucks (or maybe even free) from any glass shop, since they can cut it from scrap they would have just thrown out anyways.

#10 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

It's hard to get plexi to seal to glass, since silicone doesn't stick to it too well. If it fits tightly and you really slather the seams, though, it ought to be all right. Glass is usually cheaper than plexi, though, at least around here; you should be able to get a piece big enough for your 15 for a couple bucks (or maybe even free) from any glass shop, since they can cut it from scrap they would have just thrown out anyways.

I'll try that thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users