Potomac Creek, Stafford County VA 2/15/08

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

As I got out of class today, I realized that I had a few hours free, and being such a nice day, I would indulge in a bit of collecting. Looking to stay close to home and try a new spot, I found a site on Potomac Creek that looked good. After parking and earning battle scars vs. about 30 feet of bramble, I hit the water. First dip of the net produced a very nice banded killifish, a new species for me personally. After just an hour with me and a dip net, I collected:

Banded Killifish - Abundant
Gambusia - Abundant
Bluegill - 3
Blue spotted Sunfish - about a dozen
Fall fish - Juveniles, about an inch long - 3
Eastern Mudminnow - 1 large gravid female
Pumpkinseed - 2

Eastern Newt - 1
Grass Shrimp - roughly a dozen
Crayfish - 20ish
Tadpoles - 15ish

Not a real impressive list, but not a bad way to spend an hour on a friday afternoon.

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

For me that would be am impressive list. I typically find lots of certain species but little bio-diversity. I cannot wait to get back into the water here in NY, especially since I have a new dip net I'm dieing to try.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

That looks like what I thought you'd find in there. Are there any clear running portions of that creek you know of? Every time I pass over it it is muddy. There are some silvery minnows that I need to grab pics of that should be in there.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

I'd be interested in seeing or getting some preserved crayfish (if that is possible) from that area.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'd be interested in seeing or getting some preserved crayfish (if that is possible) from that area.

You grabbed some from our last trip, right?

From VA's Nongame Fish, Reptile, Amphibian and Aquatic Invertebrate Regulations:

Fish bait: minnows and chubs (Cyprinidae), salamanders (less than 6 inches), crayfish, and hellgrammites - 50 in aggregate unless said person has purchased fish bait and has a receipt specifying the number of individuals purchased by species. Note: Madtoms, crayfish and salamanders cannot be bought or sold.

So just bring the right containers next time. :D

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

Yeah I still have the one and she hasn't grown much so I'm still clueless. The one big guy from the Rivanna disappeared and the one I got from the tiny stream was a lousy virilis. Oh I have plenty of 1 gallon white buckets....

#7 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

That looks like what I thought you'd find in there. Are there any clear running portions of that creek you know of? Every time I pass over it it is muddy. There are some silvery minnows that I need to grab pics of that should be in there.

The water was clear(stained, but not horribly) where I was today. The area I tried consisted of a pond, about 2 acres I'd guess, that formed where the water backed up before flowing over a riffle going under a bridge. There was a bit of flow though. Mostly where I collected were 2 foot channels of flowing water extending from the banks of this "pond."

As for Matt...at what size would you be interested in the crayfish? Most of the ones I saw were small, with the largest being maybe 2 1/2''. The small ones were pretty easy to come across, so if you want I can grab some next time I'm there, as I definitely plan on revisiting the spot.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

Big and male.

#9 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

For me that would be am impressive list. I typically find lots of certain species but little bio-diversity. I cannot wait to get back into the water here in NY, especially since I have a new dip net I'm dieing to try.

Sandtiger, I often find myself in the same "boat".
Since to date, I've always collected alone, I just use a dip net and it seems I never find more then a handful of species in any given water. Certainly...we seem to be "diversity challenged" in my area, at least in any one given water.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Once you use a seine with one or, even better, more people you'll have trouble going back to dipnetting as a routine thing. Catching fish won't be nearly as heroic.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Pulling a seine is a lot like work.

I'll stick with my "alternative" methods =;

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Solo seining can be tough but even a small seine can be very effective and not quite so tiresome. I've also found using a larger seine to be productive by anchoring one braille either on shore or at one side of a pool and running the other out and around the other side then up to the shore. Can be frustrating when there's snags or heavy cover. When I get tired I go back to the dip net and more specific targets like darters in riffle areas.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

Note that Bruce said "or more" when he talked about seining... like enough people so that you really just stand around and watch the other coule of guys drag the thing through the rapids, while another couple kick rocks with their big toes... and you stand off to one side with the bucket... then it REALLY easy...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users