Green sunfish crossed with largemouth bass

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

Is there a way to cross a green sunfish with a largemouth bass?

Thanks

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

There have been artificial cross-generic hybrids created in centrarchids by stripping milt and roe from ripe fish and mixing them together, with varying rates of hatching success; the ultimate fate of the hatchlings was not recorded in the paper I read. I can copy and paste that paper here, if you like.

I don't know that Lepomis cyanellus X Micropterus salmoides has been attempted. But it begs the question: why would you want to?

#3 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Because he's a mad scientist. :shock:

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

But it begs the question: why would you want to?

At one time it was thought viability of hybrids was somehow inversely proportional to distance in time to individuals had a last common ancestor. Therefore a genetics tool, especially when before some of the more powerfull methods now delveloped. Otherwise why invest all the time to understand phylogenetic relationships. Also ould be used to understand regulatory mechanisms associated with development / differentiation.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

I meant that question for Gambusia, specifically. I don't think he wants to elucidate the phylogenetic relationships of those two species. :biggrin:

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

Is there a way to cross a green sunfish with a largemouth bass?

Thanks

Back on track.

An old professor of mine familiar with some work in Hawaii indicated largemouth and bluegill somehow cross naturally in one of the reservoirs. Neither species native to Hawaii and conditions relating to seasonality may be a factor. Such a cross in my eye would be by either sneaker male bluegill showing no respect for spawning largemouth, sperm drifting between nest during simultaneous spawning events or just a lack of morals.

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

I mean artificially because I doubt bass and green sunfish would spawn together naturally.

I suppose it would entail stripping roe and milt

Basically for a hybrid game fish to stock in a private fishing pond

I suppose warmouth or bluegill could be interchanged for green sunfish but I think something with a big mouth would be best.

IF I can get a female largemouth, and that would not be hard, I could try to cross it with my male warmouth.

Make an interesting hybrid.

#8 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

See here:

http://www.pondboss.com/12.html

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

How would one aquarium condition and strip a sunfish or largemouth bass?

I mean a male sunfish (lepomis species) and a female largemouth black bass (strip of viable eggs)

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

I merged topics, they were the same, thus keeping them in the same thread.

#11 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

I apologize for the extra threads.

Sorry Mods

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

No reason to apologize just house cleaning.

#13 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

So once the eggs and milt are mixed can I then put the eggs in the aquarium with the warmouth male?

Or is there another way to successfully hatch the eggs?

I was thinking of catching a female largemouth, stripping her of viable eggs at pond/lake side and taking the eggs home. Stripping the warmouth male of his milt, mixing it with the bass eggs.

Thanks

#14 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

So once the eggs and milt are mixed can I then put the eggs in the aquarium with the warmouth male?

Or is there another way to successfully hatch the eggs?

I was thinking of catching a female largemouth, stripping her of viable eggs at pond/lake side and taking the eggs home. Stripping the warmouth male of his milt, mixing it with the bass eggs.

Thanks

You have to be sure the bass's eggs and warmouth's milt are both mature when you strip them. How you would do that, I don't know; maybe Centrarchid can help you out.

#15 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

I've been told if black bass' eggs are clear they can be fertilized

#16 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Uh oh...this topic remind me of blood parrot/flowerhorn cichlids in North American version...but im actually curious about bass/sunfish hybrids. Largemouth bass and warmouth in my area are not spawning at same time so you need to make them feels like spawning mood at same time. Warmouth's easier to be conditioned than the largemouth bass in aquarium.

Don't know if this hybrid are fertile or does this hybrid reach big size like the largemouth bass or halfway?

Also I heard rock bass can hybridizing with the sunfish species and crappies can hybridizing with them too....in the lab. But I don't know if this is true.

#17 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

How would I go about conditioning warmouth?

The green/largemouth hybrid in the link I posted looks like an interesting fish

#18 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

How would I go about conditioning warmouth?

The green/largemouth hybrid in the link I posted looks like an interesting fish

Just feed well and keep the temp up (72+) and he'll be ready to breed 24/7. Earthworms for some reason seem to get my fish "in the mood", so you might want to give him some worms every now and then.

#19 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

I wondering what the results looks like if you cross the largemouth bass with orangespotted sunfish? Just a thought...

#20 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

On that link of the hybrids, notice that the bluegill x LMB has a body shape similar to a Moronid. That's interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users