Madtom genus?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

I got an email today from someone regarding some mussel host use and his list said Schilboedes marginatus. I'm assuming that is a margined madtom but are we going back and using that instead of Noturus?

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

I got an email today from someone regarding some mussel host use and his list said Schilboedes marginatus. I'm assuming that is a margined madtom but are we going back and using that instead of Noturus?

Isn't Schilboedes a subgenus? Maybe they just used the subgenus instead of the genus and the subgenus.

#3 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

That's a synonym of Noturus insignis that was briefly re-elevated by Hubbs & Bailey in 1944. Taylor subsumed it in 1969.

Is it making a comeback?

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

That's exactly what I was wondering. Every mention I knew of it was circa 1950.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

There's no new evidence for recognizing it. It's likely just a result of old fish names being perpetuated in the mussel literature...

Dave

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Dave. That is what I thought, though margined madtom have been reported as hosts for a couple of species and I've never seen it that way before. The perpetuation and ultra-synonomy with mussels is bad enough.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users