My new Grady county GA pond

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Yes the Grass pickerel and Bowfin both reproduce. The GP thrive the bowfin not so much. It seems the GP are keeping any young bowfin from growing up, but thats just speculation. Basically everything in the pond seems to have become a self sustaining population except the bowfin. This pond is now about 5 years old and all of these species have been present from the getgo except the warmouth and bowfin. I've tried adding a few others, mainly darters (least and Iowa) but have not had any success so far. I continually modify the habitat each year in hopes of making it more likely to be able to suport a more diverse community. I also should add this is smaller than your pond, basically about 1/4 acre of shallow 1-3ft with 3 deeper pools of varying size. Very swamp/marsh like system.

#22 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

Who is the know whether shoal bass can adapt to pond conditions?

Just a suggestion since shoalies are found in SW Georgia

but gar would prolly be best suited to your pond

Edited by Gambusia, 25 February 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#23 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

I would love to have Shoal Bass, but they're so rare I don't dare collect any, especially since the literature says they can't tolerate lentic water. They also need hard water and high ph and ponds in my area are basically acidic. Neat fish though.

#24 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I saw some at the aquarium in Albany and I think they are neat fish too.

How about putting in some alligator snappers for fish control? :biggrin:

#25 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

I was actually thinking about a Gator! My girlfriend said she wouldn't mind except for the dogs...

#26 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'd add a big snapping turtle

Except your dog might not like it

#27 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

Why add one? If you have open water and there are any near by turtles will find the pond on their own. Not everything has to be active manipulation and management guys. Alot of these processess in a healthy aquatic system, like Brian's ponds, are taking place because they are mature and functioning ecosystems.

For admittingly being new to the subject 'fish for brains' said something that I think alot of people overlook when they are looking at setting up a pond. Just because it's native to the drainages doesn't mean it will do great in that type of ecosystem, in this case a small pond.

#28 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

I agree that I won't have to add turtles to my pond, I'm sure they're already on their way. Alligators on the other hand probably wouldn't find my pond on their own, but they are indigenous to my area. They do tend to put a damper on the skinny dipping...

#29 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

You mean why add a 80 pound alligator snapper?

To keep the poachers away!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users