Ever seen something like this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HooperG_*

Guest_HooperG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

I have a heavily planted tank, out of which I'd like to remove 5 Flag fish. Have any of you ever seen a device resembling a large hypodermic syringe (minus the needle, of course) which will catch a small fish by virtue of the suction created as the plunger is pulled back? I hate to try to catch the little buggers with a net 'cause I know it will tear up the plants. I thought I had seen the above device used by scuba divers to catch small individual reef fish. Is this just the product of a clouded mind, or does anyone know where to get these? Thanks very much..........Hooper Goldsborough

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

I have a heavily planted tank, out of which I'd like to remove 5 Flag fish. Have any of you ever seen a device resembling a large hypodermic syringe (minus the needle, of course) which will catch a small fish by virtue of the suction created as the plunger is pulled back? I hate to try to catch the little buggers with a net 'cause I know it will tear up the plants. I thought I had seen the above device used by scuba divers to catch small individual reef fish. Is this just the product of a clouded mind, or does anyone know where to get these? Thanks very much..........Hooper Goldsborough

A clear plastic cup with a piece of plexiglass works just as well. I use this technique often in moving gravid Goodied and other livebearers.

#3 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

I know what you mean! My tank is at least 50 percent SOLID plant growth..and it's honestly impossible to catch fish in it. When I recently had to catch out some shiners to pass to another member here, the only way I was able to do so was to get up at 3 am, and with the use of a red light, catch them while they slept...fwiw, it worked like a charm!

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

Perhaps you could probably get a plastic turkey baster and cut the nozzle to the desired size.

Todd

#5 Guest_HooperG_*

Guest_HooperG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

Da*n, you guys really are pretty slick, thanks for the ideas..............HG

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

It's called a slurp gun.

#7 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

I've used a clear plastic jar with fishing line tied around the neck. Put food inside, when fish swim in, yank the jar out of the tank.
I've also used size 20 dry fly hooks on a piece of thread with a tiny piece of worm. But that was for a fish that was scheduled for termination so I didn't mind hook injury.

#8 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

For fry, I've always just used a short syphon hose into a bucket. I've never noticed any damge caused by the short ride. Just be sure you put a little H2O in the bucket before you start to plop fish into it. Done this on everything from livebearers, to discus, to plecos, and many others.

Edit-I just reread your post, and you're not talking about fry... nighttime spotlighting is what I've done on hard to catch adults before. Just remember, you get one try, so make it count.

Edited by rjmtx, 26 February 2008 - 11:27 PM.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

There are also some traps that reef people use to get fish out of tanks. They are for sale on line... essentially it is like using the glass jar, only they come with a closable lid (either with a twisting action like a revolving door, or a vertically sliding door).

I used one of these in a reef tank once that I borrowed from a LFS, worked very well (as long as the fish is hungry).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_HooperG_*

Guest_HooperG_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

It's called a slurp gun.

Thanks Irate,
I googled slurp gun- exactly what I was thinking of.

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Irate,
I googled slurp gun- exactly what I was thinking of.

Make your own- slurp gun

#12 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Make your own- slurp gun

we made those when I was younger out of "scrap" PVC (man was Dad ticked!) Except we put a cap on the end, drilled a hole and made big water cannons.

#13 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Here is something else to try, a soda bottle fish trap. They are easy to make and sometimes they even work! These folks say they use them for flag fish:

Building your own DIY fish trap

#14 Guest_rainbowchrome_*

Guest_rainbowchrome_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

Does sound like you want a mini slurp gun.I never saw one small enough for aquarium use.Years ago I tried catching marine tropicals with a slurp gun and I found nets worked much better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users