Dragonfly larvae question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Trio123_*

Guest_Trio123_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

I know this is an off the wall question, but this is my first post so please excuse me if it is too off topic. So I work at a small fish store and we got a guppy shipment in which there was a rather large dragonfly larvae. I havent gotten a close enough look yet to identify it but I know it is from Florida as that is where our shipment comes from. First, anyone know if there are any invasive dragonflies before I let him hatch? I've never heard of one. I've put him in his own tank and have been feeding him dead guppies and extra bloodworms. I know he is likely gonna die when he hatches (as it will be indoors) but I figure that there isnt any harm in letting him go ahead and die then rather than killing him now. If that is just crazy then I can put him in alcohol and add him to my insect collection from college but I dont want to just squish him. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

I know this is an off the wall question, but this is my first post so please excuse me if it is too off topic. So I work at a small fish store and we got a guppy shipment in which there was a rather large dragonfly larvae. I havent gotten a close enough look yet to identify it but I know it is from Florida as that is where our shipment comes from. First, anyone know if there are any invasive dragonflies before I let him hatch? I've never heard of one. I've put him in his own tank and have been feeding him dead guppies and extra bloodworms. I know he is likely gonna die when he hatches (as it will be indoors) but I figure that there isnt any harm in letting him go ahead and die then rather than killing him now. If that is just crazy then I can put him in alcohol and add him to my insect collection from college but I dont want to just squish him. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Your dragonfly nymph "larvae" is by itself is very little threat as an invasive. Your location is not evident but if you are far enough north, the likelihood of the dragonfly surviving long enough to find a mate and breeding seems low. Also, I find it difficult to imagiine the same species is not already taken taken up on occasion from Florida to the north like some sea going birds by large storm systems. To avoid weight on you conscience, after emergence as an adult, add it to your collection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users