home made tank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I may have a lead on some cheap (scratched) glass. was thinking about a 4'x2'x3' or even a 4'x3'x3' tank. Any ideas what material may be good for framing the top and bottom?

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

I may have a lead on some cheap (scratched) glass. was thinking about a 4'x2'x3' or even a 4'x3'x3' tank. Any ideas what material may be good for framing the top and bottom?

If it is scratched, then it is weakened. It's gonna break!!!

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

If it is scratched, then it is weakened. It's gonna break!!!

its more that the surface is roughed up rather than deep scratches or gouges. my 90 and 125 are more scratched up than this glass. how large of a scratch beocomes a problem?

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

its more that the surface is roughed up rather than deep scratches or gouges. my 90 and 125 are more scratched up than this glass. how large of a scratch beocomes a problem?

You can make the sides of the tank from plywood; for a tank that big consider using 3/4" or even 1" plywood. Seal it thoroughly and caulk the seams and it should be fine. You'll need some kind of crossbraces at the top, of course.

How thick is the glass?

#5 Guest_kureinha_*

Guest_kureinha_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

You'll need some sort of bracing cross or Euro. 3/4" plywood is a good idea for all but the vieweable side.

I would double check this and look for glass thickness calculators, tables, and equations. Anyway, many people say 1/2" glass is good for tanks up to ~30" in height. You'll probably want something bigger for 3' (i.e. ~3/4").

Edited by kureinha, 04 March 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

You'll need some sort of bracing cross or Euro. 3/4" plywood is a good idea for all but the vieweable side.

I would double check this and look for glass thickness calculators, tables, and equations. Anyway, many people say 1/2" glass is good for tanks up to ~30" in height. You'll probably want something bigger for 3' (i.e. ~3/4").

yeah, I shy away from the 3' tank. I like the look, but the stresses on the glass get larger and it is MUCH more difficult to maintenance the bottom (without either draining water or getting my shirt sleeves wet. The guy has 1/2" but 3/8" will likely be cheaper. I want to use this to grow out fry so if the latter I may just do 5'x2'x1'(tall). and put in removable dividers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users