Ebay sturgeon for sale

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

There is a sturgeon for sale on e-bay that is discribed as a diamond sturgeon and sopposedly only gets to be 12" long. since sturgeon are kinda my thing I was surprised to learn of a sturgeon that only gets to be 12" does anyone else know anything about this sturgeon?

Moon

Edited by Moontanman, 06 March 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

I think the e-bay seller is a fibber. There are no tiny sturgeons.

http://www.sturgeon-....uk/diamond.php

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

Yeah I've seen them at my locale LFS before and checked out and saw a greater max and average length than 12". Certainly not like a beluga or Atlantic but not exactly small. I guess it's relative but still...

#4 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

I think the e-bay seller is a fibber. There are no tiny sturgeons.

http://www.sturgeon-....uk/diamond.php

Actually there is or was, it maybe extinct by now see this link http://www.fishbase....ary.cfm?ID=8764 about 11" maximum size if I am converting centimeters to inches correctly but I wouldn't hold my breath for this one to show up in locaL fish stores!

Edited by Moontanman, 07 March 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#5 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

The best sturgeon for an aquarium in North america would be a captive bred shovelnose sturgeon but there seems to be no plans to release it to the pet trade. they would rather sell europeon sturgeon or white sturgeon which get to be huge. the shovelnose is small and manuveralble enough to live quite well in a 100 gqallon plus aquarium if you could get fingerling and raise it.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the link; I didn't know about the dwarf sturgeon.

I would think 100 gallons would still be pretty small for a shovelnose. They're being bred for reintroduction in many places, so if they ever DO become available in the pet trade, at least their propagation and care techniques will be pretty well known.

#7 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the link; I didn't know about the dwarf sturgeon.

I would think 100 gallons would still be pretty small for a shovelnose. They're being bred for reintroduction in many places, so if they ever DO become available in the pet trade, at least their propagation and care techniques will be pretty well known.

You are correct, I would really rather have about a 360 gallon tank to keep one but they seldom get to their maximum size in an aquarium staying well below 24" . Shovelnose are much more flexable than most sturgeon and tolerate confinment much better than most sturgeon.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

There is a sturgeon for sale on e-bay that is discribed as a diamond sturgeon and sopposedly only gets to be 12" long. since sturgeon are kinda my thing I was surprised to learn of a sturgeon that only gets to be 12" does anyone else know anything about this sturgeon?

Moon

From what I understand the trade name Diamond sturgeon is being given to Acipenser gueldenstaedti and A. sturio or a hybrid of one or the other or both. 12 inches???? Ummmm I think that is an exaggeration....or out right lie....

#9 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

From what I understand the trade name Diamond sturgeon is being given to Acipenser gueldenstaedti and A. sturio or a hybrid of one or the other or both. 12 inches???? Ummmm I think that is an exaggeration....or out right lie....

It maybe possible to stunt their growth to a great extent but 12" seems a little bit wishful. The are doing some strange things with sturgeon in europe so it maybe possible to breed small sturgeon. Iknow they have albinos, sturgeon are popular as pond fish as are paddlefish bvelieve it or not! try to get one here! I've been trying to get as much information as possible about this but it is difficult.

#10 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

I have seen sterlet for sale in the US

#11 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yeah I've seen them too but they are not native to North America and compete directly with the Atlantic Short Nosed Sturgeon which is endangered in my state. Even my aquaculture licence won't allow me to posses one. They are illegal in NC and should be any where in North America. The North American Shovelnosed Sturgeon is a better aquarium fish (relatively speaking) doesn't require saltwater and likes warmer temps. They are produced by the millions in aquaculture but none have made it to the pet trade any real numbers.

Michael Hissom
Captive Environments, aquaculture

#12 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

On a side note a few months ago there was a bunch of baby Paddlefish for sale on e-bay.

Edited by Moontanman, 10 March 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

It says right in the listing "Freshwater diamond sturgeons ( Acipenser Gueldenstaedtii ) for sale." According to FishBase, this fish can grow to 235 cm (about 93 inches or 7.7 feet). That's just a little more than 12 inches, wouldn't you say?

That dwarf sturgeon sure sounds interesting!

#14 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

It says right in the listing "Freshwater diamond sturgeons ( Acipenser Gueldenstaedtii ) for sale." According to FishBase, this fish can grow to 235 cm (about 93 inches or 7.7 feet). That's just a little more than 12 inches, wouldn't you say?

Not all of those listed as Acipenser gueldenstaedti have been... many have been hybrids with A. sturio or have been A. sturio and not at all A. gueldenstaedti ... Still yeah neither is 12 inches.....

#15 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

It's been a fantisy of mine to breed those tiny sturgeon (Pseudoscaphirhynchus hermanni) for a long time. Of course they are unobtainium for everyone. Personally I think, the cites resrictions are only hastening their extiction, captive breeding could increase their numbers drastically. Releasing some of those into the pet trade could make money to make money to help work on thier native habitat or at least provide money to breed more fish for restocking purposes. I am of course in the minority in this.

#16 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

The best sturgeon for an aquarium in North america would be a captive bred shovelnose sturgeon but there seems to be no plans to release it to the pet trade. they would rather sell europeon sturgeon or white sturgeon which get to be huge. the shovelnose is small and manuveralble enough to live quite well in a 100 gqallon plus aquarium if you could get fingerling and raise it.

BY the way, most captive bred sturgeon and paddlefish from the US end up in asia as a source of caviar and meat.

#17 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

It's been a fantisy of mine to breed those tiny sturgeon (Pseudoscaphirhynchus hermanni) for a long time. Of course they are unobtainium for everyone. Personally I think, the cites resrictions are only hastening their extiction, captive breeding could increase their numbers drastically. Releasing some of those into the pet trade could make money to make money to help work on thier native habitat or at least provide money to breed more fish for restocking purposes. I am of course in the minority in this.

Pseudoscaphirhynchus are now being captive produced, I'm actually working on trying to bring a few into the states from the farms working with them as I want my hands on them also.

#18 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Pseudoscaphirhynchus are now being captive produced, I'm actually working on trying to bring a few into the states from the farms working with them as I want my hands on them also.

Pseudoscaphirhynchus hermanni, Pseudoscaphirhynchus kaufmanni, or Pseudoscaphirhynchus fedtschenkoi?

#19 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

BY the way please keep me in the loop on this, it it really is an obsession of mine!

Michael Hissom

#20 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

BY the way please keep me in the loop on this, it it really is an obsession of mine!

Michael Hissom

I'll let you know if anything gets finalized with this. I'm not sure the exact species but assume either P. hermanni or P. kaufmanni ..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users