snails to big

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I have found some verylarge 4-5 inch tall snails in lake wyile are they dumps or native
Robert

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

Do you have a photo?

#3 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

hey i live in charlotte and i frequently collect natives in lake wylie. I think i know the snails you are talking about, they are huge for freshwater snails i am familiar with. Post a picture to make sure, but I am pretty sure they are the ones a fellow collector told me about. he said they are a brackish type that frequently gets transplanted in from people bringing boats back from the beach area. He kills them if he sees them. But post a picture so we can confirm. Also, if you are in the area give me a call, would love to find a local collecting partner.

#4 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

Are these the snails in question
http://www.jaxshells.org/vittar.htm

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

Here's the real question - how do they taste?

-Irate
Too close to Louisiana for my own good...

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

no they look like really big river snails with the pointed top
no pic. this is a question from two years ago when I went to thunderburg camp(or what ever its called)

#7 Guest_Oddball_*

Guest_Oddball_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:19 AM

The USGS Invasive Species list for Region 4 (including N&S Carolina) lists the chinese mystery snail as the most likely suspect. They're also called trapdoor snails. These are valued in aquaria since they can live in a wide range of parameters. They're also a live-bearing species so, no ugly gelatinous egg masses all over your tanks.

Attached Files

#8 Guest_Oddball_*

Guest_Oddball_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

BTW, these snails are a popular food item in Hong Kong (I saw them in many markets). So, I'd imagine they taste pretty good.

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

those are the ones. I had some in a gold fish pond and in a catfish tank and yes they are livebearer snails and the babys after a month or two are mystery snail(the ones from your lfs) size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users