Outdoor tanks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

I'm looking to set up some tanks or small ponds outdoors to grow plants and raise various killifish and livebearers. So the first order of business is to find containers. I have a local source for rectangular 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs that cost about $0.40/gallon, and I've priced larger kiddie pools online at about $0.10/gallon. Can anyone recommend a product for cheap backyard fishkeeping?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

Do you want bigger containers? There are some pretty good deals on 2' deep stock tanks here and here.

#3 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

Do you want bigger containers? There are some pretty good deals on 2' deep stock tanks here and here.

Thanks for the links. The plan was to keep this under $100, but better built, larger tanks would be nice. Do you own either of these?

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Sorry, no. But I imagine any of them would be decent; if it's going to be any use at all as a cattle tank, it must be pretty rugged.

As an alternative, you could build plywood boxes and line them with pond liner. I don't know how that would work out in $/gal, but it's worth considering anyways.

Edited by Newt, 11 March 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#5 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Sorry, no. But I imagine any of them would be decent; if it's going to be any use at all as a cattle tank, it must be pretty rugged.

I'm sure they're rugged, they better be for a dollar a gallon. But kids pools are a tenth of that, so I will probably go that way unless I'm going to be able to do this again next year.

#6 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Kiddie pools are toxic. Don't use them!

#7 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

Kiddie pools are toxic. Don't use them!

I've heard that about the rigid molded pools, but does the same go for the larger collapsible ones?

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

As long as you don't eat them they're OK.

Actually, quite a few members have used kiddie pools of both the rigid and collapsible sort. My personal preference is to buy a pond liner and build a simple form out of landscape timbers...

..."It don't cost very much and it lasts a long while." - John Prine, "Illegal Smile"

#9 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

I've heard that about the rigid molded pools, but does the same go for the larger collapsible ones?

I've seen many small scale aquaculture plans (some that seem fairly reputable) that call for 12-foot collapsible pools as their ponds. They suggest washing thoroughly with soap and soaking in water before use. This is for human consumption, so I assume there's nothing *too* nasty coming out of them after that treadment.

I have a little 6' diameter by 12" cheapie pool (about $10) that I set up in my living room for a few days once. I didn't think about the toxicity issue, and I kept a couple perch in it for a few days that did fine.

My guess is that washing really good with soap will probably be fine. They may leach some chemicals later, but at a much lower level than they would initially.

#10 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have one of these 37 gallon stock tanks from Tractor Supply to age my water in before water changes. It's really well made:

Feed Storage Drum with Lid 37 gal

There is also a 110 gallon:

Stock Tank 110 Gal

Since they are made for cattle, no worries about chemicals.

#11 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

I have a 610g or 920g (not sure if its 8 or 9 ft diameter) stock tank as seen on the first link. I scored it off a construciton site last summer for free, but haven't filled it yet. It is made of LDPE and is incrediably durable..you would only have to buy it once.

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

There is also a 110 gallon:

Since they are made for cattle, no worries about chemicals.

I set up a couple of rubbermaid versions of 100 gallon stock tank last summer (along with my two 35 gallon trash cans). And raised a few topminnows... not many, but it was my first try and I had a lot of fun with fish and plants.

See my post from last spring...

http://forum.nanfa.o...ks#topicoptions
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted -- there are a lot of good suggestions here. It looks like a lot of people are buying heavy duty tanks once, not cheaper ones more often. I guess if you're raising hundreds of gallons of fish in the yard, you're probably past the point of no return anyhow. I have a couple of things lined up, I'll post my results (if I get any).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users