Fluorescent bulb/ballast options & pairings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

Related to my last post about lighting at http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4289, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a really good reference explaining all about fluorescent bulb/ballast issues. I've done some research on this in the past and have some basic idea about the different bulb diameters (T12, T8, T5, etc.) and different ballast types, but I haven't seen anything that puts it all together in a detailed way that someone outside of the lighting/electrician industry can easily grasp. Can you help?

Thanks, Jase

#2 Guest_juscuz_*

Guest_juscuz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

This is a great read with lots of info.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/litg.htm

#3 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Related to my last post about lighting at http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4289, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a really good reference explaining all about fluorescent bulb/ballast issues. I've done some research on this in the past and have some basic idea about the different bulb diameters (T12, T8, T5, etc.) and different ballast types, but I haven't seen anything that puts it all together in a detailed way that someone outside of the lighting/electrician industry can easily grasp. Can you help?

Thanks, Jase

Anything I know about building lights I learned while working towards a specific goal. I've built a half dozen different types of CF rigs, some LED and MH, and a long time ago even some regular T12 floros. But to me there's just way too much to wade through in terms of ballasts, various tubes and pin types, etc. I prefer to have a tank and a general lighting scheme in mind, then start looking at the cheapest, most efficient way to make it happen.

If you're planning to use normal floro bulbs, then aquarium sources might not be the most useful. These days larger diameter bulbs don't get much attention for growing plants, it's all T5. If you can find a bulb you want to run (I think T8 might be a good low cost, mid-efficiency option for a low light setup), then talking to your local electrical supply might get you a ballast (or a part number) that can run it. Wire and clips can be salvaged from thrift stores, junk yards, etc. Ballasts too, if you know what you're looking for.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

Well, there's HO, VHO, CF, T12, T8, T5 and all that. But really, it pays to be a scavenger, which involves a certain amount of patience.

BTW, the T-number indicates the diameter of the bulb in 1/8ths of an inch. So does the R number for reflector-type bulbs, like PAR-40, MR-16. etc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a former Home Depot lighting professional!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users