minnow ID wanted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

This fish was collected from a trib (Barton Branch / Brush Creek) that flowed south into Pickwick Lake (Tennessee River), Northwest corner of Alabama, east of Waterloo, AL.

I can't settle on any one ID.

3 pictures on NANFA Photo Gallery

Edited by uniseine, 19 March 2008 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'm not really counting stuff but sure looks like N. telescopus to me.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:12 AM

I'm not really counting stuff but sure looks like N. telescopus to me.

I agree. The railroad track lateral line is a good marker.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

So, does that lateral line separate it from N. ariommus? I always have trouble with those two.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

So, does that lateral line separate it from N. ariommus? I always have trouble with those two.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with ariomus, but I am fairly certain it is not found into AL so that would eliminate it in this instance.

#6 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with ariomus, but I am fairly certain it is not found into AL so that would eliminate it in this instance.

The Fishes of Tennessee by Etneir and Starnes shows Popeye Shiners going into northern Alabama.

and

http://www.outdooral.../shiner/popeye/
"last collected in 1889 in Cypress Creek near Florence. "
and
"Although there have been no recent records of this species in Alabama, continued sampling efforts in the Elk River and Shoal Creek systems may rediscover it, since Feeman (1987) reports its occurrence in the Elk River just north of the Alabama state line."

#7 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

added pictures on NANFA Photo Gallery
[/quote]

I added a few more pictures. The fish didn't recover from the photo tank fast enough to avoid the power filter. Minimum age of this fish 30 months.

The eye is really big.
I have a hard time finding the double black scale edges on the Telescope Shiner. The scale picture is the best I could find. I found better looking scales on the Bigeye Chub.
Which
is part of the reason for my ID confusion; I had a Bigeye Chub, Hybopsis amblops mixed in the school.
Pictures here: http://gallery.nanfa...iseine/amblops/
The Fishes of Tennessee by Etnier and Starnes says the breast is bare; not by my pictures.

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

The double edge scales show up well in pickled telescopes, but like you I have a lot of trouble seeing them in live fish.

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Here is a comparative photo of popeye/telesope from Eastern Kentucky. They can be viewed at full size here.

Attached File  popeye_vs_telescope.jpg   26.13KB   0 downloads

#10 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Thanks everyone.

The stripe on the back matches Uland's picture -=> Telescope Shiner.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Since I'm back to regular computer access after a trip I'll vote for telescope too. I've never encountered them in that stream system but I wasn't looking either. The popeye shiner was last collected in Alabama in Cypress Creek in 1889, although as Phil says that popeyes were found in 1987 in the Elk River in TN just north of the AL line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users