Will small Sunfish do well eating primarily mosquito larvae?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

I've got 11 fish which are mostly Redears with one possible Warmouth. They range from 1.5 to 2 inches (4-5 cm) at this time. Unfortunately there are ample mosquito larvae on our property and I can easily collect them as needed. Do I need to supplement something else?

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

I've got 11 fish which are mostly Redears with one possible Warmouth. They range from 1.5 to 2 inches (4-5 cm) at this time. Unfortunately there are ample mosquito larvae on our property and I can easily collect them as needed. Do I need to supplement something else?

Howdy. It's never a good idea to feed just one kind of food (although I've gotten away with it for extended periods at times). That said, I had good luck with mosquito larvae back in 2005 when I had small bass and sunfish. Here's a post from the mailing list back then which I just reposted to the Forum.
http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4327

I'd say alternate mosquito larvae with at least one other food, and you'll be in good shape.

Cheers, Jase

#3 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks mate!

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Young sunfish train to "baby" pellets pretty easily. I believe pellets make up a good staple diet when supplemented with a wide range of dried and frozen foods.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users