Do I need a chiller

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_stacir_*

Guest_stacir_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

I have a 25 gallon tank and am thinking of setting it up with Native fish. I live in northern Minnesota. I was hoping to have sunfish, bass and perhaps a pickeral? I haven't really decided on how to stock yet. My local fish shop is telling me that i will need a chiller? Can anyone let me know I do need a chiller or can i set up an maintain a tank without one.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

Pet shops say and do some pretty silly things. You will not need a chiller for the fishes you want to keep. You will however require a larger tank for the above fishes.

#3 Guest_stacir_*

Guest_stacir_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

thanks. Actually it's a 125 gallon tank.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

That's more like it! Still, a largemouth or smallmouth will probably outgrow that tank, and may eat its tankmates in the bargain. For bass-like action without black bass size, consider rock bass, green sunfish, and warmouth; all are moderate in size (up to ~ 12") and show all the voracity of a largemouth, but are more compatible with other sunfish and pickerel.

#5 Guest_BLChristie_*

Guest_BLChristie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, take everything with a grain of salt or the shop will tell you that you will NEED a UV sterilizer, ozone generators, the most expensive light setup they can sell you, and every other new gadget they just so happen to have in stock. With everything from natives to reef tanks I've found that simpler is better: less technology, more biology (to shamelessly quote a book I can't quite remember the name of)

#6 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

I have kept cool water darters(rainbows) in an unchilled tank that hit's 80 in the summer, and the fish have been fine. If I can do that, then you can keep the fish you listed without one!

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

When you need the chiller si when you decide to keeping the scuplins, trout species, few minnow/darter species, alaskan blackfish and probably swampfish. There are lots of "warmwater" species than "coldwater" species in North America. Its silly is that how your LFS come up with this useless advice just like when my LFS tells me about the gambusia required dirty water to keep them in and they said that gambusia produced lots of waste than goldfish and therefore they are not good for community tank? (I knew the real reason)

Your fish will be fine at your room temp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users