cloudy eye?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

One of the black banded sunfish I got a few weeks ago, has developed a slightly clouded eye. I first noticed a small white spot a few day's ago(looked almost like an air bubble trapped under the outer lens) and now today that eye is clouded over. The fish itself seems otherwise healthy, and is eating well., but it's obvious there is a problem. It appears to be the only fish in the tank with this problem, so I don't suspect polutants or anything.
Any ideas, or suggested treatment? I was thinking of salt..but these are blackbanded and everything I read points me away from salt. How about Maracyn?

Well...crap. On closer inspection...ALL the BB sunfish seem to have cloudy eyes to one degree or another. The one that had the white spot is by far the most pronounced, and that side is the worse..but it looks like all 3 of them have a "haze" over the center of the eye. I have done a 50 percent water change, and a dose of pimafix...I have no meds on hand(maracyn or anything) but could pick up pretty much anything tomorrow. Again..any ideas or advice greatly appreciated. As before, none of the other fish seem to be suffering from this at all. I'll be honest, I don't even have anything to test the PH with at the moment, but it's been stable for so long I've just not bothered, so not sure if that could be an issue or not. The fish are not blind..but it's popped up just in the last day or two, so obviously it's worrisome.

Edited by Nightwing, 03 April 2008 - 11:02 PM.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Any ideas, or suggested treatment? I was thinking of salt..but these are blackbanded and everything I read points me away from salt. How about Maracyn?

What have you read? I've treated blackbandeds using salt without any issues. I've gone as high as 2 tbsp per 5g without any problems. I think it will help your problem.

#3 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Drew, just the "gotta have really soft water" issue with them. I've not read anything directly related to treating them, other then some older texts(really old!) that said even a small amount of salt was harmful(I believe it was Axelrod..but please don't quote me on that!). I'll give it a day or so and see how things go...sucks, as they are getting along SO well now, and they are such great little fish!

Edited by Nightwing, 03 April 2008 - 11:04 PM.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

I know some mid-west guys have problems keeping them. I haven't heard of any east coasters having issues. I'd try a little bit of salt before meds.

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

These guys were all maintained in salted water before transport so they will be fine with some salt.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Just to add. I have the hardest dang water, also has a Ph of 8.3. My blackbandeds have actually done fine in this water.

#7 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

I got home tonight, and while there is still a "hint" of cloudy in the one that was the worse..other then that, they all seem fine and the cloudyness has disappeared. I don't know if it was the water change or a heapin' dose of Pimafix I put in...but something done fixed it up!
Thanks for the assurances on the salt..that's good to know for down the road!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users