Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

http://www.cnn.com/v...fanged.fish.ksl

My guess is, bowfin.

Chris

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

I could see that, especially during that first shot, looking at it from the front...but not enough teeth. Something seemed not quite right. But then, at 0:39 seconds into the video (and later at 1:17), they show a lateral view. It's a salmonid of some sort; the guess of lake trout that they make doesn't seem right either though. You can see an adipose fin stub at about 0:57.

My suggestion is a bit far-out, but my first thought was "how the heck did someone get a Hucho to Utah!"

Dave

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

The lake trout guess may be my fault...

Someone posted this on aquariacentral the other day asking for ID, and I said "Gee, lake trout have big teeth and adipose fins." But I'm a warmwater guy, and a herper to boot; I usually only see trout when they already have lemon and black pepper on them.

#4 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

(Hoplias malabaricus) Wolf Fish ?

not my pict, i thought they were warm water though.

Posted Image

#5 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

From another version of the story:

Officials will soon begin restocking the pond with fish of their choosing. It's safe to assume that won't include any aquarium fish or mystery fish.

:laugh:

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

(Hoplias malabaricus) Wolf Fish ?

hmm, that's an interesting suggestion, but Hoplias shouldn't have teeth on the maxillary (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), which in the crispy Utahn critter are rather clearly visible. Also, the big scales on Hoplias should show up better on video, especially on a dry specimen.

#7 Guest_Loki_*

Guest_Loki_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

did look like a snakehead to me at first but they're saying its flattened lake trout

but someone's comment was a good point:

if it was found away from the lake... it was more likely a snakehead due to its behavior

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

well it doesnt looks like snakehead as i dont see any long dorsal fin on their back. The head looks like trout/salmon shape with pretty big teeth, especially with the males in spawn mode. Why cant they simply test this fish's DNA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users