Middle Georgia Swamp Plant

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Collected these two at the edge of a tannin stained stream in the slack water... they were growing side by side with a number of gambusia swimming around... what are they? Are they native? They seem to be doing OK in the aquarium after a week, but I am sure that is too soon to tell.

Attached File  plant13.jpg   502.68KB   0 downloads
Attached File  plant21.jpg   663.38KB   0 downloads
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Not sure about the first, but the second looks like a species of Callitriche I find up here quite often. Nativeplanter will have more info I'm sure, but I can tell you that it does make a good tank plant for a shallower tank.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Yeah, looks like Callitriche heterophylla. The broad terminal leaves are the clincher. The first one looks like nothing I'm familiar with. Good luck!

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

I wonder if that first one could be water wisteria (Hygrophila)?

http://www.aquahobby...e_difformis.php

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

I wonder if that first one could be water wisteria (Hygrophila)?

http://www.aquahobby...e_difformis.php

Maybe, but I have never seen it have two different sized leaves and that is one of the characteristics of this plant that I thought was really visually interesting... really thin leaves underneath and the thicker leaves on top...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:56 AM

I believe that water wisteria produces different-sized leaves depending on water temperature- so these plants could have endured a sudden warming before producing the uppermost leaves. Just speculating; I'm a terrible botanist.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi Michael,

Plant 1 is Proserpinaca palustris. Plant 2 is indeed Callitriche heterophylla.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Hi Michael,

Plant 1 is Proserpinaca palustris. Plant 2 is indeed Callitriche heterophylla.

You totally rock... I love having a resident botanist!... and one that used to hand in my neck of the woods to boot!... Thanks for sharing your expertise with the fishheads!

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

You totally rock... I love having a resident botanist!... and one that used to hand in my neck of the woods to boot!... Thanks for sharing your expertise with the fishheads!

OK, quit it now... my head is starting to swell.. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users