Have chub, will spawn...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

...even if YOU have to be the chub :)

So I added a bunch of medium sized rocks tonight to simulate a chub nest, and oh my golly did I get a response. What I've been most impressed with today are the ozark minnows (N. nubilus) which is kinda the "forgotten hydrophlox", maybe mostly, cause nobody never told no one how cool they are :)

I also had a mess of fun with the redline darter. He was prowling around looking for eggs.

Basically... EVERYONE knew what those rocks were. Even the bluehead kinda hid for a bit and then came out to nervously inspect it. It was pretty amusing to watch. I know I'm totally anthropogizing this, but dang, did they respond.

What sucks is I ran out of HBH Soft n Moist about a week and a half ago, and it's definately toned down a bit in the absence of that food. It might be twice as intense, who knows? I know those rainbow shiners have a loooong way to go, even though they were looking pretty good tonight. Hopefully I'll have time when they go full bore. Today was kind of a lull in the action for me. Ugh. I can't wait to be done with Multivariate Statistics. 4 more weeks!

Here's the link: http://www.farmertod.../Reefle/040708/

Here's some teasers:

Attached File  bleeding_shiner_01.jpg   39.61KB   5 downloads
Bleeding Shiner, Luxilus zonatus

Attached File  orangetail_shiner_01.jpg   22.91KB   1 downloads
Orangetail Shiner, Pteronotropis merlini

Attached File  ozark_minnow_01.jpg   37.16KB   1 downloads
Ozark Minnow, Notropis nubilus

Attached File  rainbow_shiner_03.jpg   41.35KB   1 downloads
Rainbow Shiner, Notropis chrosomus

Attached File  redline_darter_08.jpg   31.44KB   1 downloads
Redline Darter, Etheostoma rufilineatum

Attached File  redlip_shiner_01.jpg   25.9KB   1 downloads
Redlip Shiner, Notropis chiliticus

Attached File  studfish_02.jpg   38.74KB   1 downloads
Northern Studfish, Fundulus catenatus

Enjoy!

Todd

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

Beautiful fish and nice pictures! I LOVE the orangetail and rainbow shiners, and the redline darter. He wasn't gonna miss out on the free food. :D

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Thanks Steve :)

Here's the rainbow shiners from this morning:

Attached File  rainbow1.jpg   31.46KB   1 downloads

Attached File  rainbow2.jpg   40.48KB   1 downloads

Todd

#4 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

Great photos Todd, thanks for sharing :)

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Holy crap! Those rainbows are insane!
Those are better than any tropical.
I'd like to get me some of those! Are they hard to get? Protected?
Awesome photos too !

#6 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

WOW! Now that's a neon fish!

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks guys :)

They're found in the Coosa, Cahaba and Tallapoosa drainages.

Nope, not protected, although they are found on the TN 2004 list (without status) due to their limited range in TN.

They can be extremely abundant where they occur and even in some of the most dank looking streams. However, many places that they have been found in the past are diminishing mostly due to cultural eutrophication, but I dare say it, also due to over collection.

I have a really good friend in Talledaga now, and when I go to see her, I'm going to try and increase the number of sites in the general consciousness where they can be found. Some have observed that the Ft. Payne area has taken enough of a beating (guilty!). Maybe by promoting some different spots, it'll dilute the effect.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 08 April 2008 - 12:30 PM.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

WOW!!!! I am definitely getting some rainbow shiners. How did you get them to color up like that?

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

A healthy, adult male will turn dayglo electric like in Todd's photos. It's easy to get them to spawn, a lot harder to raise the young, of course. I've had breeding males spawn and die, almost like salmon; I've never seen that in any other cyprinid.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

A healthy, adult male will turn dayglo electric like in Todd's photos. It's easy to get them to spawn, a lot harder to raise the young, of course. I've had breeding males spawn and die, almost like salmon; I've never seen that in any other cyprinid.

What's the deal with raising the fry?
Are they too small? Special diet?

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

No, it was the fish spawning in a tank when I didn't think they would and letting it slide because I had no other functional tanks at the time. Mea culpa.

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

I've had the same experience with greenhead shiners with a couple making it through to the next year at most.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Stars burning brite.... Yeah I'm going to get the shots and footage I want and take out the nest ;)

Looks like the rainbows like it in the morning. They're not as fired up tonight. But the greenhead looks like he's gonna burn a hole in the glass lol.

Todd

#14 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Man...wish we had some species up here that would color up even remotely like that! As someone else said..those are insane!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users