Hello from coastal Mississippi

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Just wanted to introduce myself to the Forum. I'm a fisheries ecologist working at the Grand Bay National Estuarine Research in Jackson County, Mississippi (Coastal Streams Drainage and very close to the Pascagoula Watershed). I work primarily with estuarine/saltwater fishes, but am diversifying into local freshwater fishes. Recently we have begun to work more extensively in the freshwater areas in and around our Reserve. I've got hoop nets out as passive gear in a heavily vegetated swamp and we have been doing some seine netting. I have also worked a fair bit with estuarine Fundulids, namely Fundulus jenkinsi.

I've kept both saltwater and freshwater native aquariums for years. If folks have an interest in estuarine fishes just let me know.

Here's a list of fish in my freshwater tank at work (20 gal; Luckily it's on my desk, so I get to do some fish watching during the day :biggrin: )
Ambloplites ariommus
Etheostoma swaini
Percina nigrofasciata
Esox niger
Etheostoma stigmaeum
Fundulus chrysotus
Fundulus olivaceus
Lythrurus roseipinnis
Opsopoeodus emiliae

Take care,
Gretchen

#2 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Welcome to the NANFA Forum! Nice to see a fellow MS resident.

#3 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

That esox will be eating well!

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

Gretchen - Willkommen! You will want to join the Catfish Alliance, being as you're so close to the C/A HQ!

#5 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

That esox will be eating well!

The Esox and shadow bass were recently move to another aquarium for that very reason. They luckily didn't get anything other than the Gambusia I put in for food. We may go out today for another collecting trip. I'll post the results if we do.

Take care,
Gretchen

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Welcome to the board! Always good to see new additions to our repertoire of fisheries professionals.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users