Feeder hitchrider collectors?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

I was wondering if anyone in this forum always checking out the feeder fish tanks once a week at LFS and get some surprises from these tanks. I am one of these collectors. I was just curious why you want to do that? I think its fun to check the tanks out for big "prizes". Its like a prize in the ceral box.

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

I was wondering if anyone in this forum always checking out the feeder fish tanks once a week at LFS and get some surprises from these tanks. I am one of these collectors. I was just curious why you want to do that? I think its fun to check the tanks out for big "prizes". Its like a prize in the ceral box.

I check every time I got to petsmart. I recently bought a pair of bluefin killies found in the ghost shrimp tank. I've also found a few crawdads in the rosy red tank, as well as mosquito fish. Not much else though.

#3 Guest_dpiazza22_*

Guest_dpiazza22_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

I check every time I got to petsmart. I recently bought a pair of bluefin killies found in the ghost shrimp tank. I've also found a few crawdads in the rosy red tank, as well as mosquito fish. Not much else though.

i have found a few baby sunfish and recently i found a stickleback and lots of tadpoles

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

I only got bunch of western mosquito fish, a bluefin killie, too many green sunfish, some random nonguppy livebearer fry and a water stick bug. Saw crawdads, bullfrog tadpoles and toad tadpoles but wasn't interesting into them.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

bluefin killies, 2 for $0.25

#6 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I snagged four swamp darters, seven bluefins and what I think is a topminnow of some sort for $.99 each yesterday out of the ghost shrimp tank. Passed up a bunch of mosquito fish and crayfish. I'd probably go more often but this particular store is a good hour's drive. I never have any luck at the big box stores close to home.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

I have a crayfish, a couple of seminole killies, and a nice collection of bluefin killies. Beyond that, all I ever see are tadpoles! I saw some "tank raised gar" last time, but those weren't in the feeder tanks, they were for sale.

#8 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

Though I look often I have only been able to find one out of place native, a gambusia in a tank of fatheads.

#9 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

There's a huge and still-active thread on this at http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4213 -- maybe add your posts there? Or moderators, merge it?

#10 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

I wasnt asked for what species you guys find in the feeder tanks. i asked why you want to buy/obtain some "surprises"? And what it made you to check the feeder tanks out? i was doing it for fun, what is your reason?

please dont merge my post with other posts!

#11 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

I wasnt asked for what species you guys find in the feeder tanks. i asked why you want to buy/obtain some "surprises"? And what it made you to check the feeder tanks out? i was doing it for fun, what is your reason?

Aha! Sorry butch, didn't see your original post, just what people were adding (which is the exact same stuff as in that other topic -- what they're actually finding).

So... maybe answer butch's original question here, and post what fun new species you found over in http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4213. It's fun to monitor that thread and see what folks are finding, and would be a bummer to split that content up.

#12 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

yeah thats allright. But i was curious about why everyone want check out the feeder tanks and what is their reason for this?
Fun? Free fish? Breed purposes? Collect native fishes?

#13 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Sorry, Butch. I suck at reading comprehension. Mostly I snag stuff out of the feeders because a) I'm new to this and the chance that I'll end up with a fish that I shouldn't have are fairly small and b) the nearest water to my house is protected wetlands and I haven't really ventured farther afield.

#14 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hitchhikers are the only native fish my LFS is likely to carry, besides feeders and Florida gar. Also, I can usually get them dirt cheap!

#15 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

I'm mostly just curious. There's not a lot of diversity up here in VT (other than minnow family), so I'm hoping to find something I couldn't get here. Plus... with all the crazy VHS restrictions here, this is kind of a back-door to getting fish that I might not otherwise be able to. I don't see how anyone could complain about me keeping a species that I bought at a fish store. I haven't gotten anything interesting yet, but I check the tanks every time I go to my locally-owned LFS. -Jase

#16 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

Sorry, Butch! I misunderstood too. I check out the feeder tanks because it's a good way to get fish that I otherwise don't have access to. And it's fun to find the "surprises". :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users