Why Release of Captive-Kept Fish is Unacceptable

23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

It's not just VHS. VHS is just the latest and scariest in a long list of potential nasties that could be transmitted from aquarium fish to wild stock. Even if you could *cure* VHS (which I don't know about, but doubt)...

Your doubt is correct. If you follow the link you provided above:

http://www.vtfishand...ife.com/vhs.cfm

you will read "Unfortunately, there is no vaccination or cure for the disease, thus it cannot be controlled - only contained."

That is why this is such a concern. If they could just dump the cure into Lake Michigan, and let it propagate downstream... but that's just not an option.

#22 Guest_RedBeard_*

Guest_RedBeard_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

In most municipalities it's already illegal to release birds or mammals. From working as a volunteer with Huntsville (AL) Animal Services, if someone is suspected of releasing rabbits or cats an Animal Control officer will show up at their door and possibly arrest the perp. Fishes are seen in a different light; it's "just" a fish and it'll be fine in a local stream or pond, of course(!). What makes us weird on this list is thinking otherwise, and also being aware that such an introduction can have multiple bad effects. The effort to educate owners of mammalian pets about taking care of their charges and neutering them in most cases has taken decades, and is still ongoing (at least in the South...). We have a long way to go with the issue of releasing fish.

Georgia prohibits the release of any wildlife, wild animals, or domestic fish (except domestic fish can be released into private ponds). Of course I imagine it is very difficult to enforce these laws. Hope this helps!

§ 27-2-14. Liberation-of-wildlife and liberation-of-domestic fish permits
It shall be unlawful for any person to liberate any wildlife within this state or to liberate domestic fish except into private ponds except under permit from the department; provided, however, that pen raised quail may be released for purposes of training pointing, flushing, and retrieving dogs.
HISTORY: Ga. L. 1968, p. 497, § 20; Code 1933, § 45-315, enacted by Ga. L. 1977, p. 396, § 1; Ga. L. 1994, p. 600, § 2; Ga. L. 2002, p. 807, § 1; Ga. L. 2004, p. 948, § 2-3.

§ 27-5-7. Release or escape from captivity
It shall be unlawful for any person to release from captivity any wild animal as defined in paragraph (75) of Code Section 27-1-2 or to import, transport, sell, transfer, or possess such a wild animal in such a manner so as to cause its release or escape from captivity. In the event a person imports, transports, sells, transfers, or possesses a wild animal in such a manner so as to pose a reasonable possibility that such wild animal may be released accidentally or escape from captivity, the department may revoke the license or permit, or both, of such person pursuant to the procedure set forth in Code Section 27-2-25.
HISTORY: Code 1933, § 45-1104, enacted by Ga. L. 1977, p. 396, § 1; Ga. L. 1979, p. 1094, § 13; Ga. L. 1994, p. 1742, § 4.

§ 27-1-2. Definitions
As used in this title, the term:
(23) "Domestic species" means those taxa of animals which have traditionally lived in a state of dependence on and under the dominion and control of man and have been kept as tame pets, raised as livestock, or used for commercial breeding purposes, including, but not limited to, dogs, cats, horses, cattle, ratites, and chickens. Animals which live in a captive or tame state and which lack a genetic distinction from members of the same taxon living in the wild are presumptively wild animals, except that lawfully obtained farmed fish which are held in confinement in private ponds shall be known as and considered to be "domestic fish," but only if they are fish species which are either indigenous to Georgia or are fish species which have been recognized prior to 1992 as having an established population in Georgia waters other than private ponds; provided, however, that Morone americana, white perch, shall not be a domestic fish.
(75) "Wild animal" means any animal which is not wildlife and is not normally a domestic species in this state. This term specifically includes any hybrid or cross between any combination of a wild animal, wildlife, and a domestic animal. Offspring from all subsequent generations of such crosses or hybrids are wild animals.
(77) "Wildlife" means any vertebrate or invertebrate animal life indigenous to this state or any species introduced or specified by the board and includes fish, except domestic fish produced by aquaculturists registered under Code Section 27-4-255, mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles, crustaceans, and mollusks or any part thereof.
HISTORY: Left the history off on this one because it is so long.

#23 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

until i found this web site i was unaware of VHS or any other bad fish illness.
and the sad truth is fishermen are taught to not kill the baitfish from a very young age. so when your done for the day bait is left @ the last fishing spot.
now lets say you fished at two lakes and two streams that day.this would be the norm as said day laid out.
pick up bait from bait house
or gather your bait your self from local stream. fill up 55 gal drum with water and head off to first lake maybe 30 minute drive
dump water and change again as taught keep your bait alive so now there 55gal of un clean and non native water in lake
do this 3 maybe 4 times in one day. now the trip is over and bait is left at last spot.
if the bait came from LOCAL BAIT HOUSE god only knows were it has traveled and it ends up in lake/stream.
VHS is a virus and no fishermen clean there pails 5gal buckets or fish tanks in back of the truck that i no of
last year i alone fished maybe 10 lakes no clue on streams plus more then a hand full of pay lakes.as for pay lakes someone could write a whole book
on this one topic alone. most will make you put the bait back in there lake you pay for from them.
the price of a fishing permit and the bait dealers importing live bait is due to most the problem as i see it just my .02
but trust me this fishing trip is the normal day for most if not all trips. people just dont know that its wrong to keep the bait fish alive.
tony
ps i no longer keep my bait alive after the trip now due to the threads i have read from this site.and i also teach this way of thinking now.

#24 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

Unfortunately most don't even pick up their fishing regulations and give them a glance. VHS, whirling disease, zebra mussels, didymo, etc. warnings are usually plastered throughout the booklets. Even the tri-fold abbreviated booklet I remember getting with my Ohio booklet was likely read sparingly by most who purchased a license.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users