keeping native aquatic plants

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

I've never had any luck with live plants in aquaria--they inevitably die. Can anyone give me some good starting out tips?

Thanks,
Gretchen

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

I've never had any luck with live plants in aquaria--they inevitably die. Can anyone give me some good starting out tips?

Thanks,Gretchen

Welcome! There's *tons* of info available in this forum: http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showforum=133

I think you'll get a better response if you do some reading, then come back to folks with specific questions. Chances are really good that you simply aren't using enough light -- that's the biggest mistake that newbies (myself included) make.

People here are *really* helpful, but do get a wee bit tired of answering the same questions over and over again from folks who have just joined the forum and haven't read the *huge* amount of info in the archives. Search first, *then* ask. :) You'll get along swimmingly here.

By the way, I just took a look at a few of your other recent posts. You're obviously a really knowledgeable person. Good to have you aboard.

-Jase

Edited by jase, 16 April 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Here's an excellent place to learn more about plants. There is a forum, too.

Aquatic Gardener's Association

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Here's an excellent place to learn more about plants. There is a forum, too.

Aquatic Gardener's Association

Definitely a good source, just don't believe you have to buy everything that people say. It's all about marketing. The most important ingredients you need are good lighting and good soil.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

Definitely a good source, just don't believe you have to buy everything that people say. It's all about marketing. The most important ingredients you need are good lighting and good soil.

I cannot give better advise than our resident ackowledged expert, but I can say, that as a guy who never did plants before, that it is all aout the substrate. When I first had successful live plants it was due to having an appropriate substrate. And one of the easiest, cleanest tanks I have has live plants all over and it is the one I started with a couple of shovels full of dirt (well really red georgia clay... but hey its all I can call dirt around here) from my backyard. So with respects to the lightling people, count me as a dirt guy... its all about the substrate... natural and deep.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Thanks very much for the help and links. Now I have a specific questions: How much lighting do I need for a 20 gal aquarium (and what type(s) do you recommend)? What substrate should I use as to not clog my canister filter? How often should I do water changes, once a week or every 2 weeks?

Thanks,
Gretchen

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

For lighting, it depends on the dimensions of your 20-gallon. Is it a regular 20, 20-long, 20-high, or 20-extra high? The higher the tank, the more light it needs. (My 20-extra high is about 24" tall and very hard to light). In my estimation, you will need, in any case, a minimum of 2 fluorescent tubes (normal output, e.g. T12 or T8) for most of the native plants. There are some more expensive lighting options out there where you can use fewer bulbs (like compact fluorescent or VHO tubes); I just don't have experience with them.

My stand-by soil reccommendation is to use soil from your yard or a soil-based topsoil (like the cheap Hyponex brand available at Wal Mart or the dollar store). Then put about 1/2 to 1 inch of gravel on top. So long as you don't disturb the gravel, the soil won't bother your filter at all.

Depending on what you grow, you may not need much for water changes. Plants take out a lot of nutrients, especially nitrogen. In fact, if you live in an area that uses phosphorus in the public water system, water changes can cause more harm than good (algae-wise).\

Read through this thread http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4093
While it is for a really big tank, you will probably get an idea of the setup and how you might modify it for your tank. (Keep in mind, though, that the lighting needs for this tank are much higher than yours, since it is so much bigger)

#8 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

In fact, if you live in an area that uses phosphorus in the public water system, water changes can cause more harm than good (algae-wise).\

Yeah, I actually had a problem with BGA on my surface plants because my phosphate was high and nitrogen nonexistant. Stopped doing water changes and it went away. Theory is that it was pulling nitrogen out of the air since it was only on surface plants.

#9 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

What substrate should I use as to not clog my canister filter?
Thanks, Gretchen

Considering on the plants you want to keep, you could consider a sponge filter or my adaptation ( http://forum.nanfa.o...=228#entry33066 ) instead of external filtration. These filters can be *extremely* efficient at biofiltration (you'd be surprised), and won't stir up the water.

-Jase

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, I actually had a problem with BGA on my surface plants because my phosphate was high and nitrogen nonexistant. Stopped doing water changes and it went away. Theory is that it was pulling nitrogen out of the air since it was only on surface plants.

I had the very same problem in Stafford county. When I set my tank up, it had more different kinds of algae than I had ever seen. I tested my phosphate and it was off the scale at 5+ ppm. After a few months of letting my mollies and flagfish work on the algae, and a bottle of expensive phosphate remover, my tank looks MUCH better, and I opt to thin out my overwhelming growth of floating plants rather than do water changes.

#11 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

I also set up my first planted aquarium recently. I used soil and gravel for the substrate. I had a few difficulties, but learned from them. The tank is looking great now and I couldn't be happier. Here's the thread showing the problems and the end results so that you don't make the same mistake(s) I did.

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=3770

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

If you want to do native plants, an outdoor pond is the way to go. All mine do great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users