Nymphea maculeta (Tiger Lotus)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

I was wondering how well these would do or how hardy they are? Basically any information would be helpful~

NV

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

Well, it's not a North Amnerican species. You might have better luck looking at websites like www.theplantedtank.net, where people are generally more interested in tropical species.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

are there any native species that are similar in color and shape? I guess that would be better anyways lol.

thanks alot!

NV

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

I think Nymphoides aquatica works well for the look you want. See the discussion of this species going on right now on this thread: http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4592

#5 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

I was wondering how well these would do or how hardy they are? Basically any information would be helpful~

NV

I had Tiger Lotus in my pond last summer (Detroit, Michigan). Never flowered or had many pads, but at the end of the summer, I was shocked by the enormous size of the root balls; therefore, the plant must have been doing good. Full sun, foot deep water, in 4 inch flower pots with topsoil, no filtration, only a few Leptolucania Omatta and Fundulus catenatus in the pond.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

I don't know if all Nympaea species make huge root stocks, but I know many do. Interesting aside: when I was working on Carolina bays in SC, when they dried down during drought, the feral pigs would come in and tear the place apart digging around for the yummy N. odorata root stocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users