Water Hyacinth

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi everyone I found some water Hyacinth in The Flint River and after checking with my buddy the game warden... :smile2: I made sure I could bring some home because I really liked the way it looked. Is anyone else keeping this plant in there aquarium? If so how is it doing for you?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

I've kept water hyacinth in an aquarium in the past, before I developed a distaste for invasives. It does extremely well if it has plenty of light; your tank will soon be overrun. When you remove excess plants from your tank, please be sure to kill them thoroughly by drying them out, burning them, or boiling them before putting them in the trash or compost heap.

It is a lovely plant, but it is also a vigorous weed. It's like aquatic kudzu.

#3 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

I've kept water hyacinth in an aquarium in the past, before I developed a distaste for invasives. It does extremely well if it has plenty of light; your tank will soon be overrun. When you remove excess plants from your tank, please be sure to kill them thoroughly by drying them out, burning them, or boiling them before putting them in the trash or compost heap.

It is a lovely plant, but it is also a vigorous weed. It's like aquatic kudzu.

As always Newt, thanks for the quick informative reply. My buddy told me it would spread quick, I just liked the look of it. I will do as you said when it comes to disposing of the excess plants. Thanks

John

Also seeing how it's invasive may I kindly ask one of the Mods to move this to the Invasive part of the forum? Many apologies.

Edited by Stumpknocker, 21 April 2008 - 02:16 PM.

#4 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

When you remove excess plants from your tank, please be sure to kill them thoroughly by drying them out, burning them, or boiling them before putting them in the trash or compost heap.

:biggrin: Me and my wicked sense of humor....
This reminds me of Winston Churchills response when told his mother-in-law had passed away. He is reported to have said, "Run a stake through her heart, shoot her with a silver bullet, burn her to ashes..... take no chances!" :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users