Recent trips

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

A couple "Spring is Here" pics I took last week...

Attached File  Bloodroot_01.jpg   55.26KB   1 downloads
Bloodroot

Attached File  Twinleaf_03.jpg   54.8KB   1 downloads
Twinleaf

Attached File  Toad_Kitty_Todd_01.jpg   61.2KB   1 downloads
American Toad (I think)

Attached File  Tadpole_Ball_01.jpg   66.72KB   1 downloads
Tadpoles eating the rest of the eggs.

Attached File  Mudminnow_Kitty_Todd_01.jpg   56.21KB   1 downloads
Central mudminnow that got stranded (among about 40 others).

Attached File  Land_Snail_Kitty_Todd.jpg   37.22KB   1 downloads
I can't remember which species this is, it's a terrestrial snail.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 25 April 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#22 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Great shots! Your toad is definitely an American. Your snail looks kinda like an Anguispira from this angle.

#23 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

Thanks Nathan :) What makes an American toad an American? The spotting?

I'm hoping those tadpoles were bluespotted salamanders. We got video of it too. I'd never seen that before.

Unfortunately, we didn't find our quarry that day... spotted turtles (didn't make the trip any worse!). There was just too much water on the prairie to find the few that are there. I may have to run out there this week again to check and see if I can't get a pic of one. Every time I've run into them, I haven't had a camera. Perhaps that's the technique? ;)

I need a herper for hire. I have two top herpers here, but they're both too busy to just call up and say "Hey, let's go look for critters." And it would have to work that way because I'm too busy to plan a trip to the field... They seem to happen spontaneously these days when I have a couple hours where I'm just sick of work. Oh well.

Todd

#24 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Isn't it two or more warts on the black spots make it a Fowlers toad?

#25 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Great pictures you guys! I'm really enjoying this thread.

Todd, where did you see those mudminnows? I'd like a couple.

And since we're on the subject of plants, is this native? It looks like Newt's picture of Viola striata.

Attached File  Viola.jpg   76.97KB   1 downloads

#26 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Distinguishing American from Fowler's toads:

There are several characters, and none of them are perfectly diagnostic. If you try all of them you can usually successfully ID your toad. Unless it's a hybrid. Toads are the oaks of the amphibian world.

First- as Matt mentioned, there are differences in the number of warts in each dark dorsal spot, which is due to Fowler's having both larger spots and smaller warts than Americans. Fowler's toads typically have 3 or more (sometimes up to 10) warts in each large dark dorsal spot; Americans normally have 1-2 warts per spot. However, both species may have linear dorsal spots containing 3 or more warts. Additionally, the dark spots of Fowler's toads are almost always encircled with cream or brassy border, while American's are usually not.

Second- the junction between the transverse posterior portion of the cranial crest (the postorbital ridge) and the parotoid gland is distinctly different in the two species. Fowler's have the parotoid broadly adjoining the postorbital ridge. Americans have the two separated or touching in only a small contact area; they may also often have a terminal spur extending longitudinally from the distal end of the postorbital ridge to the parotoid.

Third- Americans often, but not always, have enlarged, often fused, spinous warts on the shank. Fowler's never have these.

Fourth- Americans tend to have two distinct size classes of warts; Fowler's warts are generally more uniform or at least smoothly grading in size.

Fifth- the color ranges of the two species overlap considerably, but Americans are often brick red (especially in the lower Ohio Valley and westward) or blackish, and Fowler's are sometimes yellowish or greenish; the opposite is seldom true. Americans often have the dark dorsal spots blending into the dorsal ground color, while Fowler's are almost always boldly spotted. Fowler's almost always have a light vertebral stripe, while Americans may or may not. Americans may have fully spotted or reticulately patterend venters (especially east of about 86 W), while Fowler's seldom have ventral spots except on the chest and throat.

Sixth, and probably most reliable- Americans have a long (often 30 seconds +), high, musical trill. Fowler's have a short (usually under 5 seconds), slightly deeper, much more nasal, explosive trill (often expressed "Waaaahhhh!"). The pulse rates of the two calls are very similar.

#27 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Nathan :) What makes an American toad an American? The spotting?

I'm hoping those tadpoles were bluespotted salamanders. We got video of it too. I'd never seen that before.

Unfortunately, we didn't find our quarry that day... spotted turtles (didn't make the trip any worse!). There was just too much water on the prairie to find the few that are there. I may have to run out there this week again to check and see if I can't get a pic of one. Every time I've run into them, I haven't had a camera. Perhaps that's the technique? ;)

I need a herper for hire. I have two top herpers here, but they're both too busy to just call up and say "Hey, let's go look for critters." And it would have to work that way because I'm too busy to plan a trip to the field... They seem to happen spontaneously these days when I have a couple hours where I'm just sick of work. Oh well.

Todd

I'm pretty sure the tadpoles are ranid frogs. I'm not familiar with blue-spotteds (I don't wander that far north), but the closely related Jefferson salamander deposits rigid cylindrical masses, not like the big blobby mass there. Do you have any closeup shots of the larvae? They don't look like salamander larvae from here.

#28 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

Great pictures you guys! I'm really enjoying this thread.

Todd, where did you see those mudminnows? I'd like a couple.

And since we're on the subject of plants, is this native? It looks like Newt's picture of Viola striata.

I believe that is the 'Confederate Violet', formerly V. priceana, now considered a color phase of the Common Blue Violet, V. sororia.

#29 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

I believe that is the 'Confederate Violet', formerly V. priceana, now considered a color phase of the Common Blue Violet, V. sororia.

Thanks!

#30 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the detailed description Nathan!

Susan, these particular mudminnows were in a Nature Conservancy nature preserve. But we can get them in the same connecting ditches that drain these wetlands. We just haven't had a chance to get into their habitat at this time of the year.

Todd

#31 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

No problem, Todd. I'm trying to get a position with the MBI, so I may be up your way soon. I'd be happy to go herping with you!

#32 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:04 AM

I am gonna go ahead and get the tree book. Any other recommendations for field guides, L.? I have a couple for edible and medicinal plants already - I'm looking for something more general.

#33 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

I am gonna go ahead and get the tree book. Any other recommendations for field guides, L.? I have a couple for edible and medicinal plants already - I'm looking for something more general.

Depends on how technical you want to be. My favorite is Aquatic and Wetland Plants of Southeastern United States by Godfrey and Wooten. Two-volume set. This is the ID book I use the most, but it's not exactly something you carry in the field. More like a reference to leave in the truck.

#34 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

Sounds good to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users